DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Major Player

XH A1 intermittently recognized by FCP

I'm using a MacBook Pro with FCP 5.1.4 and 10.4.9. I recently purchased the A1.

The camera is not always recognized when I go to capture. Several other posts I searched have people with the recognition problem but not one have I found where there was a solution.

I know its not the computer or firewire cable as I never have issues when I capture from my PD150.

Anyone had luck in resolving this issue?
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't have any problems with various macs and the XHA1. But I haven't tried the MBP laptop. I do know there are problems if you have a fw hub attached or try to daisy chain firewire peripherals.

Try capturing a brief clip direct to the internal drive -- nothing else attached to the laptop's firewire but the camera. If that works, you might need an express card firewire adapter to add another firewire bus for your drive.

On my Powerbook, I don't have any problems if I hook the camera to the fw800 port and a drive to the fw400 port -- even though they're supposed to be on the same bus. It won't work if I daisy chain the camera through the drive.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Chuck

Thanks for your response. Can't say it helped though which given that there is never an issue with my PD150 doesn't surprise me.

In the test I just ran moments ago I then decided to go to a web page from which I do webcasts. No problem with recognizing the camera, eliminating, I think, the possibility of there being a defective fw port on the cam.

Whats interesting to me is that I then went back to FCP, with the cam still in camera mode, and went to Log and Capture and the 2 are connected. I then went to VCR mode and they're still talikng to eachother.

A potential work around? Or just coincidence ? The issue is afterall intermittent so only time will tell.

Anyone else want to chime in, that would be great. If I don't resolve the issue I will call Canon which I'm going to do anyway re an audio issue.

At risk of straying off topic there is an issue with the line level signal on this camera which I've seen others post about as well. In brief, sending line level is just not hot enough.

Haven't seen anyone have a fix for this either.

Best
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Player

The A1 and FCP can be tricky. Make sure you have your presets correct first.

The A1 seems to be very reliable in its connection IF you have it connected and powered on when you start up FCP. If you connect it after FCP is up and running it is hit or miss.

Just my experience.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite