DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 21st, 2007, 02:55 AM   #1
New Boot

FCP4 and Mac Mini - Needs AGP Card?

When I try to launch FCP4 on this new Mac Mini I get a configuration error:

This software requires certain hardware or software which is missing.
*AGP Graphics Card

Is there a workaround for this? I need to pick up on this project I'm in the middle of and I *assumed that the Mac Mini was compatible with FCP4.

Are there any external hardware boxes that I can use as an AGP video card? Something not too expensive like under $200. This isn't going to be for high end stuff at the moment, just sideline projects.

Here's my computer info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MM11.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.3f4
Serial Number: YM63xxxxxA

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
Type: Display
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x27a2
Revision ID: 0x0003

Thanks,
Jerry

Last edited by Jerrod Francis; June 21st, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
Jerrod Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM   #2
New Boot

No boxes to upgrade from the integrated graphics, But the thing I would suggest is boost the ram, to 2GB If your going to edit video the more ram the better. Here is a discusion thread on apples website http://discussions.apple.com/thread....35688&#3535688

It basically said that it is not supported on any intel mac and to upgrade to the latest version. Have you looked into FCE instead? I would upgrade to at least a iMac before upgrading to FCP6 though.
Alex Gilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Wrangler

Jerrod, FCP 4 is not going to run on any of the Intel machines because it's a Power PC program and is not supported in emulation mode (Rosetta).

FCP 4 is getting really old and you will find a number of issues even with G4 or G5 computers. And the AGP error message is just one of them. When Apple released FCP 4, AGP graphics cards were the fastest type and only the newer Macs had them. But later Apple came along with PCI Express and other methods of accelerating graphics. Unfortunately FCP4 didn't understand these new things and just quit, assuming you had an old unsupported card.

Somewhere there used to be a program to "patch" this problem, but this was several years ago and I don't know if it will still work properly with newer system software. Regardless, it won't help you on an Intel machine. You need either a G4/G5 mac or a new(er) version of FCP....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite