DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple Flat Screen Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/9713-apple-flat-screen-monitors.html)

Curtis T. Stoeber May 16th, 2003 01:16 AM

Apple Flat Screen Monitors

Since the days of yore I have been using CRT based monitors. I really like how they have immediate updates instead of waiting for a diode to change state. But alas, my monitor grows old and needs to be replaced.

A few weeks ago I bought a $600 LCD flat screen monitor made by Sony. I set it up and it looked great at a glance. However the cursor blurred a bit as I moved my mouse around. I did not like that. I also noticed that many colors did not seem 100% accurate, despite creating a new color profile. There were times when I had a hard time telling differences between reds and greens when I was looking at screens that I knew had distinct reds and greens and whatnot. Not good for critical Photoshop work. Needless to say the monitor went back the very next day.

So my question is this: How good are the Apple studio and cinema monitors (whatever they are officially called)? I assume they are quite awesome, but HOW awesome? Are they LCD based? Are there any update problems when things move quickly around the screen (like a mouse cursor)? The current iMac screens seem quite slow. Are the colors 100% true (I am willing to bet they are since many professionals use them)? I guess I am worried most about motion blurring and dead pixels. What happens when a pixel dies? Spend another $6,000 for another monitor? I am not sure how much they cost but I know they are not cheap. Hopefully for good reason.

Anyone have opinions and especially testimonies? How about other (possibly cheaper) monitors that y'all could recommend--CRT or other? Many thanks in advance.

PS - I have one of the latest mirrored drive door dual G4 Macs, which seems to have two flavors of digital video outputs for the monitors, plus an adaptor for VGA output as well.

Ken Tanaka May 16th, 2003 01:27 AM

I've use an Apple 22" Cinema Display for quite some time. All I can say is that it's the best monitor I've ever used. No, there's no ghosting or trail articacts. It's aspect ratio is ideal for video editing. If I replaced it, it would only be with its 23" successor.

Akos Szemenyei May 16th, 2003 03:42 AM

I use the 17" Apple LCD display, and I'm extremly pleased, very clear image and perfect colors as far as I know and seen so far. I personally think that the Apple displays are the at the top of their class, they seem to have the little extra that most other screens do not offer.

Jeff Donald May 16th, 2003 02:11 PM

I use both Apple CRT's (old) and Cinema Displays. I would say that the Cinema displays were about 95% accurate right out of the box. I didn't even need to build custom color profiles for color printing.

I will say that at times the video seems delayed a frame or two from the audio (out of sync). It only happens from the time line when playing full screen (or is noticeable). When scrubbing the audio it seems in sync. I think this might be the result of my older G4 with a slower video card etc.

Steve Nunez May 23rd, 2003 07:16 PM

23" HD Cinema Display user here....for video I'd have to say the CD is the way to go- no trails or refresh rate/flicker etc distortions of any sort that are noticeable.

For digital photographers (another one of my hobbies- Canon EOS 10D, Nikon D1 etc) a good CRT monitor might eclipse the CD's....but it might be a matter of preference- One thing is for sure- when using a CD (Cinema Display) I let Apple Colorsync do all the profiling and my prints, scans etc are spot on from my Epson 1280- something I just couldn't get right when using a CRT....

..the Apple CD's do live up to their hype and Apple Colorsync really does work......

digital heaven is indeed approachable!

Rob Lohman May 26th, 2003 04:58 AM

I saw these screens @ IBC last yere here in Amsterdam. Amazing
screens indeed!!

Aaron Rosen May 26th, 2003 06:38 AM

22" Apple Display

I have an 22" Cinema Display and had used the 17" ones a few years back.

With out hesitation, the screens are the best. Crisp, Clear and Accurate.

Small foot print too. Nice if you do not have much space.

Not only does it have the above features BUT if gives you bragging rights and is a great conversaition piece!

If you would like to try something along the Apple lines but from a 3rd party, try looking at: www.formac.com.

I have not used their products but they look impressive.

If you get one, let me know what you think, as I am interested in another one as well.

(Forgive my spelling. Have been up the last 24 hours.)

- AR

Dean Harrington May 27th, 2003 09:48 PM

Eizo display....

I've heard apple cinema displays are the best. However, I bought an eizo flex scan with a 0.23 pixel display. Apart from the limit on vertical tilt - it has proven excellent!

Guest May 28th, 2003 02:28 PM

I have a Formac 17" and I love it. I haven't done a detailed comparision with Apple displays, but the Formac has better specs. I use mine for video and day-to-day stuff.

-Aaron

Jeff Donald May 28th, 2003 02:37 PM

Aaron, Dean,

Do those monitors have ADC (Apple Display Connector) or are they a PC connector?

Dean Harrington May 28th, 2003 03:44 PM

Eizo display....

has a standard digital connection

Guest June 1st, 2003 07:51 PM

The Formac has an ADC (so it is powered by the video card and has two USB ports). It's basically a clone of the Apple monitors with slightly better specs and a slightly cheaper casing (but I didn't buy it for the casing!).

-Aaron

Steve Nunez June 1st, 2003 07:59 PM

...word is the newer 20" Cinema Displays use a newer form of Apple's Cinema technology and boasts better specs....I myself use a 23"HD and find it great- if the 20 incher is better then it must be pretty awesome.....it's worth looking into that model.