raptor vs. 500gig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

raptor vs. 500gig

I recently fried my 500gig/wiebetech casing (to be used in my mac pro doing final cut).

Shipped both the external casing, as well as internal drive back to separate companies which
both honored their warranties. Upon the replacement of my Western 500gig I received a 160gig raptor
should I count my lost of the extra gigs in favor of testing and using a raptor? I have already e-mailed them
regarding this screw up, but maybe it's isn't such a bad thing seeing as how the 150gig raptors cost $239 vs. a $150 priced
drive. What do you all say?
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

IMHO the Raptor's somewhat of a waste in an external enclosure (assuming it's Firewire or USB). Raptors are best as boot drives on the internal bus.

However, if your enclosure is a eSATA or something similar it might be OK. Still, all told, I'll go for the gigs over the speed.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
IMHO the Raptor's somewhat of a waste in an external enclosure (assuming it's Firewire or USB). Raptors are best as boot drives on the internal bus.

However, if your enclosure is a eSATA or something similar it might be OK. Still, all told, I'll go for the gigs over the speed.
here's a link to her:
http://www.cwellproductions.com/mark/IMG_3365.JPG
Dante Waters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite