DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Egads! Why is it doing this?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/97221-egads-why-doing.html)

Colby Knight June 22nd, 2007 09:43 PM

Egads! Why is it doing this?!

I recently shot a dance recital with a Z1u and PD170. While editing the video, something funky is going during playback in FCP. It seems as if the video is being slowed down in certain spots, almost stopping and then resuming normal play.

I am totally perplexed.

It's a dual 2.3 G5 with 2.5 RAM.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how can I correct it?

Colby Knight June 23rd, 2007 05:25 PM

Update: Just put this project on disc with DVDSP... and there are some parts (too many, actually) that look just AWFUL. It's pixelated now, not like it was in the timeline during playback.

Suggestions as to what could be causing this? It seems kind of recent as my last few projects didn't have any issues like this.

Cole McDonald June 23rd, 2007 06:01 PM

How full is your Hard drive?

Colby Knight June 23rd, 2007 07:52 PM

It's a 250gb with about 60gb left on it right now.

Only recently have I noticed this in FCP, like this project and my last one. It's kind of like the video 'strobes' or slows for a second, then quickly catches up where it needs to be. I thought that maybe it was just a playback issue, but it has carried over onto the DVD.

I'm really baffled by all of this.

Cole McDonald June 23rd, 2007 09:41 PM

is it on every project or just the current one?

Colby Knight June 24th, 2007 08:47 AM

This is the only project I have open and am working on. I viewed the raw tapes on my TV just to make sure they were good, and they were.

I was watching this video in the viewer (unedited, straight from the logging bin) and it still has that 'snag' and pixelated look and feel to it.

Cole McDonald June 24th, 2007 10:08 AM

try opening the footage in "Quicktime Player" to see if it's just the footage. Try opening a different project to see if it's something in FCP or just something in that project.

Colby Knight June 24th, 2007 11:56 AM

In QT it still seems to snag some, but not to the extreme that it does on the timeline or on DVD.
I'm going to load another project and see what happens.

Boyd Ostroff June 24th, 2007 12:13 PM

Just a wild guess.... since you shot with a Z1, is it possible that the camera was set to PAL (50i) mode? Or possibly CF24 or CF25? Do the problem sections also require rendering while others do not?

Can you try copying the QT clips to a different disk drive and see if that helps? Or try playing them on another Mac?

Colby Knight June 24th, 2007 12:37 PM

Thanks for weighing in Boyd.
Both cameras were NTSC and these problems seem to arise on both pieces of video.
I changed the playback setting from Dyanamic to Full and it seemed to help some, but minimal at best.

Unfortunately, I have only 1 hard drive for now.

Zsolt Gordos June 25th, 2007 01:10 PM

Just a wild guess: is your RAM OK?

Colby Knight June 25th, 2007 03:30 PM

I have 2.5 RAM.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was a document in FCP that I deleted accidentally.
If I do an uninstall and reinstall it, what am I looking at other than time? Would anyone recommend this route?

Edit to add:
What folders & files should I have in my FCP documents?

Cole McDonald June 25th, 2007 04:36 PM

do you have a video sample of the problem - you said it was broken on export right? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to discount them iff possible as explaining a garbled video thing is difficult to do in words...without seeing the footage.

Colby Knight June 25th, 2007 05:11 PM

Cole, I'd be glad to give you a call to discuss it! My dime!

I've exported the sequence to a QT movie... and in the movie it still snags and is pixelated.
When I put it on a DVD thru DVDSP, it makes me cringe it is so bad. Rarely are there smooth parts in the video.

Colby Knight July 9th, 2007 02:58 PM

Update!

First... a HUGE thanks to Cole McDonald who was gracious enough to let a complete stranger call him and take up 30 minutes of his day to pick his brain about this issue. This is what makes this board so great: People helping people and going out of their way to do so. Thanks again Cole!!

Alrighty... the issue was the playback of my project in FCP. When burned to a DVD, it looked awful. It's a dance recital and the movements looked VERY choppy & pixelated.

From FCP, I exported it as a self-contained movie, imported into DVDSP... and the result was garbage.

So... after a week or 2 and many Corona's utilized to kill my weaker brain cells, I decided to export my sequence using Compressor. After 3.7 hours of that, I imported it into DVDSP and 30 minutes later: THE DVD IS PERFECT!

(Perfect by my standards, anways.)

This was very odd. I had edited another dance recital and wedding using the same work flow: FCP -> QT movie -> DVDSP... with NO PROBLEMS. And now this? Anyone have any clue as to why this happened?