Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony V1U with Final Cut Studio 2

Hello,

I'd like to apologize for these novice questions. I've been trying to read as much as I can to figure this out, but I think I don't quite grasp everything properly, since I'm just venturing into video.

It seems as though FCS2 doesn't support the V1U's 24P feature. Can someone explain to me what this really means? Can I not capture 24P footage from a V1 directly to FCS2?

Also, maybe a little to broad of a question, can someone explain to me what the 24P "pulldown" is? It seems to me that a pulldown is adding extra frames in order to record 24P footage on 60i media. Is this correct? How is this related to Final Cut and the V1u? I've seen this mentioned in some other posts regarding the two and I'm lost.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Like I said, I'm brand new to this stuff and want to make sure I'm not making some big mistakes as I put together a kit.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
Mike Frantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #2
New Boot

A couple of people have posted a workaround for this scenario. This link appeared on another thread:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hd...al_cut_052907/

On page 2 of the article, it tells how to capture 24p footage from your Sony. The main problem is that you can't do log and capture; you have to do capture now, then reverse telecine your clips. The first page of the article will answer your question about frame rate, FCP and the Sony.

Pulldown basically adds repeated frames to 24p footage to make them work in typical 29.97 fps video. This is something that video has done for a long time with 24 frame material (when you see a movie on TV, they have added extra frames, since film moves at 24 fps but TV/video has always moved at 29.97 fps). You can remove the pulldown once you've captured your clips to have true 24 frames per second.
Bradley Paul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite