DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #1
New Boot

60p and Final Cut

Sorry guys, haven't been here in a while.
I am wondering is there anyway to edit HD100 footage shot at either 24p,30p or 60p in Final Cut if I need the output to be 720p60.
I hava a client who wants to run an ad on the big screen at a local theatre and they requested 720p59.97 or 1080i59.97.
I do not have a Kona card, just a G5 with the basics.
Any help would be appreciated.
alex
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

What is the delivery of the final product?

If you had a Decklink HD card you could shoot in HDV 720p30 do your edit in FCP and then export from the timeline out the Decklink card. The card will make the signal 720p60. You could then rent either an HDCAM or DVCPro HD deck and make your master tape.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Or output a Quicktime in Black Magic Codec and take it to a post house with HDCAM. There are a ton of post houses I assume in Orlando.
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

This is very easy to do in Final Cut Pro. Just create a 720P sequence (say as AIC codec) and then manually change the frame rate of the sequence to 59.97.
You have to do this BEFORE you edit any clips into the sequence. The frame rate cannot be changed on a sequence that already has clips in it.

You can now edit your clips into this 720P59.97 (aka 720P60) sequence and the appropriate pulldown frames will be automatically added. If you have FCS2 (FCP6) there probably won't even be any rendering required as you edit.

On the flip side, if you are editing natively (with FCP5.1.2 or newer) you can still work in 24fps or 30fps as you normally would and then output ("Print to Video") your sequence back to the HD100 or the BR-HD50 deck.
Since the ProHD cameras always record the stream in 720P60 (or 720P50 in the case of 25P) and pulldown is automatically added to the stream, you won't really have to think about it.
You can then re-capture your edited sequence from tape as a m2t using DVHSCap or HDVxDV and it will be in 720P60 with the appropriate pulldown (as if it was camera original.)

How is it being shown? Does the theatre have some sort of hard drive based media server system? If so, m2t is probably ideal.
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks

thanks to all, I will keep you posted on the outcome.

alex
Alex Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Let us know if output (for display) is tape based or a server- I'm curious!
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite