Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 10th, 2002, 02:11 PM   #166
Machinist Mate

They have a funny saying about that. It goes like this:
"FCP has a great titler....it's called Photoshop!"

:-)

All joking aside, I have gotten in the habit of creating my lower thirds and other font effects in Photoshop and saving them as a PSD (Photoshop layered file). FCP allows you to import the layered file into the bin, then when you drag that clip then you can apply motion and other effects to each layer, cuz each layer sits on its own track in the timeline.

It must be the old graphic designer in me, I'm just very comfortable with Photoshop, to say nothing of the fact that whatever colored shape or gradient or other item you want to paint or drag into the PSD can become part of the titling element. And it beats learning another program or utility.

Just make your new Photoshop document 720 by 480 pixels. If it's a real complex design, try merging some of the layers so you don't get an excees of video tracks in the timeline.
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:34 PM   #167
Major Player

Mike, I've seen that expression before. My experience with Photoshop is touching up/cropping photos and printing them.

How difficult is it to create something like a 50+ line scrolling credit in Photoshop? How do you animate it?

Will Photoshop Elements work for this, or do I need the upgrade?

It's clear I need to get closer to this puppy!
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:42 PM   #168
Machinist Mate

Whoof, a 50+ line scrolling credit! Talk about something I just haven't tried! My guess is that you have to make it taller to encompass the whole length of the text. Animating any of these kind of items is just something you need to go to the motion tab of the clip, set a keyframe at the beginning and end, and adjust the position.

Like I say I haven't tried it. and it is probably a lot easier to do something like this in Boris or something that was designed to do credit crawls & scrolls. I usually just do fly-in/out or fade-in/out, and the occasional random pulse effect, when it's not a static lower third.
Old April 10th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #169
Machinist Mate

Oh, yeah. Forgot to talk about Elements. Truthfully I have never tried it, since I have always had a full version of Photoshop as far back as I can remember. Hey, if it will create the document as described, has a text tool and will save layered PSD files, I don't see why it shouldn't work. But I only know regular Photoshop.
Old April 10th, 2002, 03:08 PM   #170
Warden

the version of Graffiti that comes with FCP is not as complete as the full blown version. I think I got an e-mail recently that they have a deal for FCP users to upgrade for a reduced amount. Check out the Boris web site. For details, they may also have an NAB promo going on too.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 07:28 PM   #171
Regular Crew

Good ideas flowing here.

I think I will look into the Boris full version. I am an old PhotoShop pro, but the down side is when I want things fast it is good to have a titler program with some pre-set broadcast ready font/graphics. The kind you see in most commercials.

Anybody got the full version of Boris? Is it worth looking into? Dose it have some pre-set CG?

Anybody got some other good titlers they have experience with?
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2002, 08:52 PM   #172
Major Player

I checked the Boris site. You can get the Graffitti 2.0 full version for $249 if you have FCP 3.0. Otherwise, it's $495. The only NAB special I saw was for Boris Red.
Old April 12th, 2002, 07:08 AM   #173
Regular Crew

Music video help.....

I am going to begin shooting my first music video next week and I am going to be using FCP 3 in post. My biggest question, what is the best/easiest way to sync up the video with the music track I am going to import from the cd? I know there has to be a better way then to keep trimming frames until it is all aligned.... I am not an audio wiz yet so I get lost even thinking about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #174
Regular Crew

Actually trimming frames is probably the best way. It's a little bit of work the first time you do it, but quickly becomes second nature. You'll put the clips onto the timeline and they'll only be a few frames off, so it's just a matter of a quick trim here and there. True editing does take time, especially if you want to do it right. Just be sure to get way more footage than you need just in case! The way I'd do it would be to put the song onto the timeline first and then start putting video tracks on. Have fun!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2002, 09:30 AM   #175
Regular Crew

I appreciate the reply Joe, I honestly dont mind the time it will take, I was more concerned about accuracy... And the doubts stem from my lack of knowledge in the area of editing audio but if trimming frames will get me where I need to be, then trimming frames it will be! I am really looking forward to this and now that you set my mind to rest a bit I will enjoy it that much more. I miss CO, I lived in Denver for 2 years back in 90-92, what a beautiful state!

thanks again!

Chris
Chris Ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM   #176
Regular Crew

External hard drives

Just looking for some advice on external firewire drive for use with fcp, I know I has to be 7200rpm . Just looking for user input on brands good or bad. Looking for 80 gig drive that will give me the least problem. Using FCP 3 on OSX.
Timothy Eno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2002, 09:59 AM   #177
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Although 7200rpm has become a requirement via Internet forum folklore, the fact is that it "ain' necessarily so". A good 5400rpm drive should be able to keep up with FCP. I occasionally use an 80Gb Maxtor Firewire drive and have no trouble. Others must agree. MacConnection offers Final Cut Pro 3 bundled with a Maxtor 160Gb (5400rpm) Firewire drive (http://www.macconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=280919).

So, if you can get a good 7200rpm drive for a reasonable price, go for it. But, if not, you might be able to do fine wih a good 5400. I have some very good ultra-portable drives from Firewiredirect.com, which also makes larger desktop units. They're worth a look.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2002, 12:38 PM   #178
Major Player

We just bought two Maxtor 80GB IEEE1394 drives (one is being replaced because it was DOA). ALthough the 80gig drives run at 7500, they also make a 160GB drive that runs a little slower (5200) and costs a little more than ONE 80gig. Worth looing into.
Old April 13th, 2002, 01:25 PM   #179
Regular Crew

Thanks, I have seen a lot about slower drives not being an issue. I also need some help with hook up when I select my drive. I have a powerbook and as you know it has 1 fw port. Can I connect the drive to the powerbook and then use the drives other fw port for my cam to import or due I need a hub. I really don't want to import to the powerbook hd and then from there too the external drive. also local apple reseller has decent price on lacie drives and prefers them with macs but will get me any drive I choose. Local store is very good about macs but I think DV I may be a better scource of info on these topics.
Timothy Eno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2002, 01:47 PM   #180
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

As long as the drive has a 2nd fw port you should have no trouble passing through to your camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite