NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 18th, 2002, 09:16 PM   #301
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I am not an avid Premier user (no pun intended), but don't you have to render most of its effects before you can view the rendered footage? Your post didn't explicitly indicate that you did so.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 03:57 AM   #302
jeffyr163

Thanks Ken....for not laughing !

You are correct. I am moving up from (don't laugh) iMovie where rendering is something that is done automatically when an effect is applied. I don't do this for a living, but have a strong interest and am learning more all the time. Hopefully the advance to a professional level NLE will yield better results and not just frustrate me back to iMovie.

Thanks again.

Jeffyr
Old June 19th, 2002, 05:30 AM   #303
Capt. Quirk

Jeff,
It has been years since I have used a Mac ( My therapy is coming along nicely...he he he!), but if you hold down your option key while scrubbing over the effect, it should preview it without rendering.

As you look at the timeline, you will notice a colored line over each clip. If it is red, it hasn't been rendered yet. It is green, you are good to go. Just hit enter, and it will render your storyline for a preview.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #304
jeffyr163

Thanks captain

Thanks for the tip. I feel like user support for Premiere is almost non existant compared to FCP, but it is what I have to work with at my job (not related to video, but they bought it for screen grabs from video).

Anyhow.......Good luck with the therapy !

jeffyr
Old June 19th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #305
Trustee

for mac users

How would you guys get the audio into the Mac (or FCP)- the new Quicksilver Macs don't have an "audio in" mic plug on the sound card (built in). My 400mhz G4 does have an "audio in" but the 933mhz doesn't- how are you guys getting the audio in from the Mini Discs?
Old June 20th, 2002, 05:43 AM   #306
Warden

The audio in, got left out almost 2 years ago when apple went to quick silver models (733 etc.). The low cost way to do it is with an iMic from Griffin http://griffintechnology.com/ They are modestly priced and work well for simple projects. The best way is with a seperate board in a PCI slot. I don't have a recomendation, but it is a hot topic on several of the DVD authoring lists I suscribe to. I'll post a question on what others are using and I'll let you know.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:26 PM   #307
Warden

I posted what type of audio cards, devices are you using with your mac and the field was split three ways. The highend users are mostly using MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) * http://www.motu.com/ *rackmount devices. Several connect via FireWire. i think they start around $700. The middle ground was mostly DigiDesign units * http://www.digidesign.com/ * They are around $400 to $500 and are USB based. The lower end users were using various devices from Midiman. They also are USB and range in price from $50 to around $300.

I don't have any hands on expierence with any of these devices. However, I have had voice overs recorded in studios using MUTO and it is a very respected name. Digidesign, I think they are owned by Avid, is also used in many top studios.

Jeff
Old June 21st, 2002, 06:22 PM   #308
Warden

Joe,

Check out the Midiman site http://www.midiman.net/ They have cards for the Mac listed under the Digital Audio section. They list at $230. I don't know their street price. I think that the type card your looking for.

Jeff
Old June 22nd, 2002, 08:21 PM   #309
Warden

The sound cards are a good choice. It makes no sense that it wouldn't have analog I/O Have you looked closely at the Digidesign Mbox? Yea, it's not a card but it is so small. I could see using it with an iBook to record audio in the field. It's features and specs are impressive for such a little unit.

Jeff
Old June 23rd, 2002, 08:40 AM   #310
Trustee

Off topic

I know this is sorta off-topic- but does anyone know if the Apple iPod is fast enough to capture video to? Just wondering about using it with a Powerbook or iBook (pure curiosity)....anyone try?
Old June 23rd, 2002, 11:58 AM   #311
Regular Crew

i just purchased a dual 1ghz g4. i have not opened the box. should i send it back for a refund/exchange to get one that comes out in july at macworld?
i'll be using the computer to edit video, do color corrections, etc, for a feature film.
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2002, 12:22 PM   #312
"SuperSparks"

HI Jay.

If you had opened and started using your system my standard answer is to enjoy what you have and not worry about the next “great” update. But since Macworld is only a few days away, I would send it back if you can IMHO. In the last three months i got the twin 1ghz power mac and the iMac and have been enjoying them both.
All the best in whatever you decide to do.

Jim

Hump? What Hump?
Jim Sauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2002, 12:31 PM   #313
Regular Crew

let me know about that "good deal on a firestore."
Old June 23rd, 2002, 01:45 PM   #314
Regular Crew

thanks for the input. it may be that the computer i purchased will be good enough for what i need it to do.
i have my eye on uncompressed video b/c it sounds great, but who knows when i'll be able to afford it. my dream is to pull the signal straight off the chips of my pal xl1 and get it uncompressed all the way through my NLE and back to a digibeta master for printing to film.
...i dream on...
Old June 23rd, 2002, 07:37 PM   #315
Warden

I am using a G4 dual processor 450MHz. It's almost 2 years old. It handles FCP 3.02 with no problems. Video is not that processor intensive. The Dual 1 GHz should be a screaming machine. The deals on the machines now will not apply to the new models. So, enjoy.

The limitation on uncompressed media is not the processor speed, but rather the HD speed. If you have extra money I'd load up on Ram, and build a super fast IDE internal RAID with a couple of 120gig drives and the Sonnett RAID card.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite