NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 3rd, 2002, 08:44 AM   #451
Major Player

1 hour 10 minutes should fit, the limit is 90 minutes and it changes on the fly. Oddly, I have been given that same error when there is not enough Hard Disk space left. I was going crazy looking for a 90 minute check box when I just happened to notice I was almost out of disk space. That might be what is wrong.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2002, 08:44 AM   #452
Warden

You may be better off looking at a new system. My want list to even run FCP 3 is a minimum of 512mb Ram, and 80gig external FireWire Hard Drive. The OS will need to be updated from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2. The updates are a free download from the Apple site. The G3 processor wil not do Real Time effects and the 15 inch screen is very confining. I really don't think there is much in the way of processor upgrades for iMacs.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2002, 08:48 AM   #453
Warden

I think it is something like 14 watts, but that spec may have changed with the newer models.

Jeff
Old August 3rd, 2002, 03:00 PM   #454
lbmaestro

Thanks gentlemen for your suggestions. I think the reason might be the 60 minute time limit as I am using version 1. I am waiting for "Jaguar" to be available to upgrade to the next version of iDVD. There is no upgrade for OS 10 (to Jaguar) if I were to buy the old version now. Jaguar will be the same price.

Believe it or not, I have "DVD Pro" which would solve all of my problems but I can't figure it out. The instruction booklet that comes with it has my head spinning. It is not written for those in a hurry to learn... which is why I use iDVD.

If I only had some templates... smile.

thanks again.

Linwood
LBMAESTRO@yahoo.com
Old August 3rd, 2002, 03:43 PM   #455
Warden

I think you can find what your looking for here http://www.gnomedigital.com/ Bruce is very knowledgable about DVD SP and DVDs in general. He may have the templates your looking for.

Jeff
Old August 3rd, 2002, 10:07 PM   #456
Regular Crew

Mark, Jeff, thanks: I'm checking out the Dr.Bott & Griffin Tech sites as I write this.
More from me once I have some kind of an audio solution worked out: I asked about the Apple Pro speakers because the feedback I got was that they were too low-output to be of practical use in editing. [And, damn, but they're expensive! :-) ]
Does anyone have any comments on the choice of the Sony DVE 900 E Video Walkman as a VTR option for editing (playback/print to tape)? It seems to be the lowest cost Mini DV solution for a dedicated VTR - but it might be nice to have a choice of format sometimes. Do the DSR-11 and the DSR -20 play/record DVCAM?
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 01:53 AM   #457
Regular Crew

rumour has it, the submarine 'ping' sound = an automatic sound design award.
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #458
Regular Crew

Oops, to answer my own question, the DSR-11 and DSR-20 do indeed play and record DVCAM, according to their specs. But the DV-D 1000 Sony video walkman seems to be a lot cheaper, with an S-Video and composite throughput to boot.
Can anyone tell me whether the Video Walkman can be used via firewire to connect an external broadcast monitor?
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #459
jeffyr163

Pioneer A04 and iDVD

Here is some info that many may be interested in :

Until a few days ago if you wanted to burn a dvd with your mac the options were expensive.* Buy a mac with a superdrive, or buy an external drive and DVD Studio Pro.* iDVD would not work with an external drive (even the identical pioneer A04 drive) because the enabler was different than that of the superdrive.

On August 2nd Other World Computing started selling the pioneer A04 with the correct enabler for iDVD 2.1 and OSX for $400.* What this means is that for $400 (and a copy of iDVD 2.1) you can be authoring DVD's on your current firewire enabled mac.

Here is the link to a review of the drive and enabler:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire/owc_firewire_dvd_recorder/owc_firewire_dvd-r.html

Hope you find this interesting.

jeffyr
Old August 5th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #460
Major Player

Yeah, I read all that latest, greatest stuff coming out of Finland about the hig pass filter :) :)

Seriously, I think he really meant band-pass filter. The description Adrian gave is correct. Telephones, interestingly enough, don't pass anything above about 3Khz or below about 1Khz.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:51 PM   #461
Regular Crew

That's really cool! Thanks for the info. How does one go about downloading iDVD 2.1? Is it a free download somewhere? I was always under the impression that you could only get it with new Macs.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #462
Warden

Well, sort of. iDVD is an upgrade to 2.0 and 2.0 comes with OS X 10.1 etc. I think you can get 2.1 on a CD for 20$ or the download is free. It will come with OS X 10.2 in a few weeks. I would wait until 10.2 in case Apple changes the enabler. They weren't happy about a company bundling A04 with the eMac and shut down that part of their operation.

Jeff
Old August 6th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #463
Regular Crew

I have 10.1 (CD) and iDVD didn't come with it, unless I am just looking in the wrong place. Is iDVD OS X only?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 05:52 PM   #464
Major Player

iDVD v2.x is MacOS X only. iDVD versions of 1.x are OS 9 compatible, but can only burn 60 DVDs. My Mac came out before version 2, so I had to buy the $20 CD to get the new version. They only have patches that you can download because they added tutorials to version 2 that take up 400MB of disk space, and this way they make a little money. (at least, this used to be the only way to upgrade to version 2) I don't know if the system disk for OS 10.1 has iDVD on it...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #465
Warden

Joe,

I could have sworn the CD for 10.1 had iDVD on it. I remember deleting it, because I have DVD SP and had no use for it. I'm sure it's part of the pkg. and gets installed with everything else. I'll look for my disc and let you know or maybe somebody else here knows for sure. If you go to the Apple Store the description for the CD says it's an upgrade.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite