DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 11th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #526
Major Player

Fonts - Getting a List (Mac)

Is there a way to print my fonts for reference. When I am in FCP, it would be nice to look at a list and make a font selections. I don't really want to create a document and type each individual font.

Thanks,

Paul
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 08:05 AM   #527
Trustee

Font management programs like FontReserve and Suitcase will allow you to print out a type book of all your fonts in a variety of formats, I'm not sure if OSX has this feature built in or not. Anyone else?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM   #528
Major Player

I wish I was totally new on Macs again. It was great fun to learn them. Enjoy it :)
Old August 11th, 2002, 12:11 PM   #529
Major Player

Well it is kind of fun, but I hate the slow down in production. It is going to take me a bit of time to get used to the Mac world. After being a "PC" guy forever, it is almost counter-intuative (sp?) to use a Mac.

I like the easy of navigation on the Mac. My concern was that this would take a bit of time, but it really has not. The thing that I am not used to is how the operating system works. Having grown up from DOS to XP, the steps to learn it are the same.
Houston, Texas
Old August 11th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #530
Warden

I use Extensis Suitcase http://www.extensis.com/ but it is fairly expensive just to use to print a book of fonts for reference. FontBook is a shareware program that does exactly what you want http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11418&db=mac I used it for printing a book of my fonts and it worked just fine. You can download it and try it, the registration fee is only $10.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:00 PM   #531
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help so far guys... One thing is.... I've been hearing different things about firewire drives. Some say its perfectly alright for capturing and editing DV, but there are also some others that say that its not fast enough, resulting in dropped frames etc. I'm a little confused by that. If I remember correctly, Apple didn't used to support any firewire drive for video capture (I read that some time ago, while doing research for my 45Gb Deskstar) Are things different now?

Adrian
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:21 PM   #532
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

A resonably-spec'ed drive (5400-7200rpm) will be just fine for capturing. Just make sure that your OS is up-to-date (you're running OS 10.1.5?) and your FCP3 is up-to-date. Dropping frames in FCP is generally caused by other factors.

If you're concerned, and want to use a FW drive, spend a bit more to get a 7200rpm drive. Maxtor has a 120Gb 7200rpm drive for a reasonable price. Others worth looking at are FireWireDirect.com and Weibetech.com. I have FW drives from both places and can tell you that they're good outfits, particularly WeibeTech.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:06 PM   #533
Major Player

I went to a freeware / shareware font location and was able to print off each page of example so I could see what they looked like for future ref. and also to see it they were free or not
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:07 PM   #534
Regular Crew

Yep, I'm running OS 10.1.5, and FCP 3. OK, another question here... what if I decide to go the ATA route, I'm considering the IBM Deskstar 120 Gb, I suppose that will go into the 3rd bay in the CPU, and I will have to get a HDD controller card as well that supports Ultra ATA 100 right? If i remember correctly, apart from plugging the ATA (IDE?) cable into the drive, there is also another power cable to be plugged in. My question is, is there an available power cable in my G4 (considering I've got 2 drives in there already) or will the HDD controller card come with its own power cable? Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm a bit ignorant about this whole thing.

Thanks!
Adrian
Adrian Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 11:17 PM   #535

Yes, you would need to get another controller to install a 3rd drive into your chassis. Open the Mac and you'll see that you have another cable.

Ken Stone's site has some instructions on the process:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/install_third_ata_drive.html

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old August 12th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #536
Major Player

Hi Ken--

Is the below true for rendered titles that weren't part of the captured footage? Are they saved as part of the project file?

Thanks

>>Remember that you do not have to keep footage online when a FCP project is completed. The small project file has all of the information required to re-capture and recreate the project. You can dump your capture and render files when you're finished.<<
Old August 12th, 2002, 11:33 AM   #537

Vic,
Yes, the project file "knows' about every clip including clips that were generated within FCP. Like any other clip that requirea a render, though, you will have to re-render such synthetic clips upon re-creation of the project.

Old August 12th, 2002, 12:44 PM   #538
Regular Crew

osX's hidden powers and programs

I am new to osX and keep reading threads where someone shares functions of osX that are really usefull. . . like how to capture a screen shot or how to turn on a system resource meter, both of which can be done with osX right out of the box, but what I want to know is are there any online resources like forums or sites that specialize in osX features and functions. Mac seems so proud of the fact that osX is super easy to use and intuitive that they make their instructions about 10 pages long. I would like to know how better to exploit the functions and power of this very awesome os. Thanks in advance for any links or useful tips you might have learned.
Jason Bagby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2002, 01:09 PM   #539
Major Player

Make that two of us. I am also new and struggling to get up to speed with the Mac OS. If you have any web sites that you could recommend, I would greatly appreciate it!
Houston, Texas
Old August 12th, 2002, 02:02 PM   #540
Warden

OWC enabler update

At Apple's request, OWC has pulled it's iDVD enabler. The details are here http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/12.owc.php

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite