DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 13th, 2002, 01:14 PM   #556
Major Player

Jeff,

I guess my frustration stems from the fact that the "new" G4 would have only been a few dollars more. If I would have known, I would have waited. You are right regarding the horse power, as I expect that it should be enough for a few years. I am still very happy with the machine...

Ken,

Have you checked the lead times on the ultra fast machines. They are between 6-8 weeks out. Amazing how they could be back logged and the machines were just announced.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:28 PM   #557
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<< Paul: Have you checked the lead times on the ultra fast machines. They are between 6-8 weeks out. Amazing how they could be back logged and the machines were just announced. >>

Good point. I suspect that Apple, like other mfrs., makes sure that it's direct supply chain is filled first, followed by corporate pre-orders (if any, in Apple's case), followed then by on-demand forecasts. Add it all up and you end-up with a month of initial backlog I suppose. (One of Apple's recent SEC filings indicated that they are having trouble with at least one of their Asian suppliers, so that might account for some sluggishness.)

I, too, recently updated to the Dual 1Ghz but feel no remorse on today's 1.25Ghz announcement. This honker will certainly meet my needs at least until Apple begins to (inevitably) introduce it's Intel-based systems in 2004-2005. <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM   #558
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : << I, too, recently updated to the Dual 1Ghz but feel no remorse on today's 1.25Ghz announcement. This honker will certainly meet my needs at least until Apple begins to (inevitably) introduce it's Intel-based systems in 2004-2005. <g> -->>>

Really?? An Intel based Mac. Now that would be something to write home about! That would be perfect timing for the replacement of my current machine. Are there articles that talk about this or is this just leaked gossip?
Houston, Texas
Old August 13th, 2002, 01:45 PM   #559

Partly speculation but mostly just logical forecasting based mainly on looking at the business factors surrounding the ailing PowerPC environment. The maneuver onto a Unix platform was a key step towards platform flexibility. Apple instantly became the largest Unix vendor in the world.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/02.intel.php

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old August 13th, 2002, 02:02 PM   #560
Major Player

Very interesting article. I wonder what size chunk Apple could take out of the PC world with the Intel move??
Houston, Texas
Old August 13th, 2002, 02:03 PM   #561
Regular Crew

simple import from cd

FCP 3
I can't just simply import song from cd. I can't bring up the window anywhere with the word "convert" on. Have followed book to letter and am frustrated.
Could someone pls give me simple steps to import?
I don't remember any trouble in fcp2
Regards
Rick Banfield
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:13 PM   #562
Major Player

im only using FCP2 as of now but you could import thru iTunes it allows 48k AIFF conversion
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #563
Major Player

man i cant believe apple has released yet another set of G4s all dual processors.i had just recently purchased my 867with a discounted price tag when the 933 and DP1G were released and now it seems like im gonna be in a single processor doomsday. oh well i guess will run FCP2 forever in OS9 as i have yet to upgrade to 3 and who knows what 4 will bring im sure its right around the corner!
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #564
Warden

You can just about count on new G4 towers about twice a year. I suspect the next towers will be introduced at MacWorld SF in January if they have new chips (G5 or quad processors). Otherwise, it will be a little lower key intro (like today) about a month later. This has been Apples pattern the last few launches.

Just because it uses an Intel chip don't expect it to run Windows. So you'll still have the uninformed saying their aren't any programs to run on an Apple. Apple has been pushing dual processor for over 2 years now and it is definetly the future. Now that the whole line is dual I expect quads next, probably in the server first, then the tower.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #565

I'd be very surprised to see quad processors in consumer desktops on any platform. It just wouldn't make economic or performance sense for the consumer. Their Xserve platform could, however, conceivably see quad processors in the near future if Apple gets a hold of a large corporate client that demands such a configuration.

I have no basis in fact here, but I suspect that Apple's move (to make their entire premium desktop line dual processors) may be grounded in desire to accelerate clearance of their G4 manufacturing unit commitments with IBM and Motorola.

Old August 13th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #566
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald :
Just because it uses an Intel chip don't expect it to run Windows. So you'll still have the uninformed saying their aren't any programs to run on an Apple. Apple has been pushing dual processor for over 2 years now and it is definetly the future. Now that the whole line is dual I expect quads next, probably in the server first, then the tower.

Jeff -->>>

The interesting thing to note is the fact that the Mac is operating on a UNIX platform. This platform gives Apple a scalable world in which to operate in. I would agree with a symmetric environment (quad processors) being the future. This would be very interesting.

To look back at the 80's and think where this all started, it is truly amazing. Somebody mentioned in another thread the computer power used to create Star Wars (the first in the series), vs what it would take today. The comment was that you could use a standard Mac/PC to make that movie. That just blows me away.
Houston, Texas
Old August 13th, 2002, 05:26 PM   #567
Warden

I convert CD's thru QuickTime. I import then export matching the bits and freq. then I drop it into the timeline. If you just drop it into the timeline you'll have to render. At least that's the way FCP3 works for me.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:19 PM   #568
Regular Crew

Re: simple import from cd

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Banfield : FCP 3
I can't just simply import song from cd. I can't bring up the window anywhere with the word "convert" on. Have followed book to letter and am frustrated.
Could someone pls give me simple steps to import?
I don't remember any trouble in fcp2 -->>>

Here's the skinny, taken from the FCP Help Guide:

You can digitally import prerecorded material by importing audio tracks from audio CDs. You can adjust import options, including the bit depth, sample rate, and In and Out points for the selected track. When you import a CD track, it's saved to your hard disk and imported as an audio clip in your project.

When you import an audio track from a CD, QuickTime converts it into a digital audio file, saves it to one of your hard disks, and automatically imports it into your project, ready for editing. You can choose to convert an entire audio track, or only a portion of a track.

IMPORTANT: You cannot import a CD audio track by dragging it to the Browser. If you do so, Final Cut Pro won't be able to access the file once you eject the CD.

If you import audio CD files directly, Final Cut Pro converts the sample rate. This may cause audible distortions in the audio. You can convert the sample rate of the audio CD files to the sample rate used in your sequence settings using an audio conversion application.

you're working with a DV sequence, you can also convert the sample rate using Final Cut Pro. For more information, see Converting audio sample rates for use with DV sequences.

To import an audio track from a CD:

1. Do one of the following:
- Choose Import from the File menu, then choose File from the submenu.
- Control-click in the Browser, then choose Import File.
2. Locate and select the audio track you want to import, then click Convert.
3. Enter a name for the track and specify a location to save it.
4. To specify audio settings, select a portion of the track to record, or listen to the track, click Options.
5. Adjust the settings, then click OK.
- Settings: Select an audio sampling rate, bit size, and audio format that matches the sequence settings (48 kHz is not available).
- Audio Selection: To import a portion of the track, enter start and end times or drag the sliders to set the start and end times.
- Play: To listen to the track, click Play. Drag the time marker in the slider bar to move the playhead to a different location in the track.
6. When you're ready to import the track, click Save.

Give it a whirl.
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:29 PM   #569
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Sedillo : :(

Amazing - I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Less than a month ago I bought a new G4 Dual.

Jeff - Now you have ruined my day! J/K -->>>

Macs using Intel is just a rumor thrown out by the press, The PowerPC platform has a long way to go before Steve axes it.

As far as your deciding whether to laugh or cry, rejoice instead. The just-released new PowerMacs need a proper shakedown, as Scotty would say. The new motherboard will most certainly change as Apple further enhances xServe technology into the desktop platform. You bought into an already tested and proven motherboard design; the new dual gig will not bring you much noticeable increases in speed. One thread already put out there is the fact that the new bus speed, which runs at 167mhz, is half that of the DDR-SRAM running at up to 500MHz on each of its chips.

For me, I want to trade up as well to the new dual gig, but I am going to be patient and see how this bus speed threaad plays out and how the new PowerMacs shake out.

And do I love my present dual gig workhorse!
Old August 13th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #570
Warden

I wouldn't call the Intel processor switch a rumor, it's a theory of one possible course of action for Apple http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0208/07.coursey.php It would certainly give Apple a marketing boost.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite