Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 21st, 2002, 03:34 PM   #646
New Boot

Thanks...

Thanks for the reply!
checked with an engineer that I know, and he explained a "DLT" (digital, Linear, Tape) master that a lot of the older places are looking for. Firewire drive sounds like a good alternative.

Jeff
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 03:39 PM   #647
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sorry for my nomenclatural error, Jeff. Indeed, I did mean "DLT", not DAT.

Of all the things I've lost over the years I miss my mind the most.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 03:43 PM   #648
Regular Crew

Au contrere...

DVD-R General discs are becoming more and more established as an acceptable master by dupe and rep houses.

Here in Boston, the major house here have no problem with using DVD-R G as masters.

And to chime in with you, firewire drives are a great medium to use in delivering masters. Every serious DVD Authorer should have one as a backup, in my opinion.
Old August 21st, 2002, 04:44 PM   #649
Warden

Welcome to mini DV NLE. My first suggestion is to read this explanation on Adam Wilt's page http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#LockedAudio This will explain some and give you a better background on what's going on in your set-up. Now for some questions. What version of FCP are you using? What OS are you using, OS X or 9.x.x? It doesn't make a great deal of difference now but it may help in the future as you ask more questions. When you capture, is the Sync Adjust box checked in Final Cut Pro>Preferences>General ? If not, that box needs to be checked when you capture. Also, make sure your capturing at 29.97 fps not 30fps.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 06:18 PM   #650
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,
Well it is FCP 3.0, OX10 and I am capturing at 29.97 fps and the "Sync Adjust Movies over 5 min" box was (and still is) checked, now was this occasional 48.01 and 47.79 sync problem a fluke? I hope so :)

P.S. Thank you for the welcoming matt and thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 06:18 AM   #651
Regular Crew

Jeff, are there similar capture problems with PAL video on FCP 3? Or is this a dropped frame in NTSC issue only?
Will I be forced to capture only 20 mins of footage at a time in PAL?
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM   #652
Regular Crew

Daniel:
...Would be delightful if you could post those uncompressed-options-with-FCP links you mentioned. The Kona card sounds interesting, I hadn't heard of it till your response.
Also: When's FCP 4 coming out? Should I be getting FCP 3 now? :-) [Plan on getting my NLE setup within the fortnight!)
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 07:01 AM   #653
Warden

It's not a drop frame issue. Read the link to Adam Wilt's page that i posted above. It's a mini DV problem of sorts. Normally, the sync adjust box takes care of it. I believe there is another issue involved with PD150film's setup. I'm going to post a reply for him this morning.

Jeff
Old August 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM   #654
Regular Crew

Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge and FCP

I have purchased the Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge and I'm having several issues, both capture and playback. I'm not sure if it's the Dazzle Product, FCP, or me.

I am running an iMac G3 500MHz with 256RAM. MAC OS 9.0.4
My capture/edit software is Final Cut Pro 1.2.5

1) footage previously captured directly via firewire plays back through Hollywood DV-Bridge with severe flickering of color. I have switched monitors, firewire cables and RCA cables and still have the problem. Also, thinking it may be a PAL issue, I tried resetting default of the DV Bridge to NTSC and still have problem.
(A recommended fix on Dazzle.com)

2) footage captured through Hollywood DV-Bridge seems to capture and playback fine on computer, however DV-Bridge will not play new clips to external monitor. Green LED turns orange when captured clip is loaded into FCP playback or record window.

I have the same questions posted to Dazzle, but this site is usually pretty fast with info.
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 01:54 PM   #655
Warden

Hi Kev,

I've used Dazzle units, not recently, but not with a G3. The Dazzle unit worked fine with a G4 and FCP 2 in OS 9.x.x I used it to get video in and out for a client. No problems. If Dazzle doesn't have an answer I'd say send it back. I just checked Apple's site and the Hollywood Bridge is not on the Qualified Devices list for FCP 1.2.5 and that sure could be your problem. I'd certainly ask Dazzle about it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60885

Jeff
Old August 22nd, 2002, 02:43 PM   #656
Regular Crew

JVC mini DV and DV CAM!?

I shot my footage on Sony PD-150 wih the DVCam option. Now i am editing on FCP 3.0
My question is: can I capture my tapes using my JVC miniDV dual deck (model # HR-DVS2U) or should I use my Camera to finish capturing to he hard drive? Is ther a difference in using either to capture to FCP, since I filmed using the DVCam option on my camera as oppose to the regular miniDV option?
I rather use my mini DV deck so I don't have to wear off the head on he camera !
Old August 22nd, 2002, 03:38 PM   #657
Warden

I don't think the JVC can play back DVCam. I think you would want to use the Sony so you'd have locked audio and avoid your other problem, even if the JVC could play it back.

Jeff
Old August 22nd, 2002, 06:07 PM   #658
Regular Crew

well jeff, I have the "audio playback quality" set on high. So whenever I play the footage that is 48001.2 hz I get a beeping. BUt if I play it on low or medium then I don't get the peeping when it's played. Not sure if this info wil help.
Also, is there a way to check when I am capturing to see if the audio capture is being done at 48.0 khz?
Old August 22nd, 2002, 07:35 PM   #659
Doconomus

Hello:

I agree with Jeff. Perhaps, in the future, you should shoot without using the DVCAM option since JVC uses DVCPRO. I relly don't know if any harm is done.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
Kyle "Doc" Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:30 PM   #660
Regular Crew

umm, what's a DVCpro? Although the quality stays the same between mini-dv and DVcam, I was told to use the DVCAM mode to prevent dropouts! Suxh a life fo a newbie lol :)
John Kaye is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite