NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 9th, 2002, 07:37 PM   #766
Regular Crew

The other sub clips look fine! it's just when I proceeded to make a sub clib, I apparently clicked on something else instead of the usual "apple key and letter U" to make a sub clip. I got the wireframe, I got rid of it, but apparently the picture got affetced and now it looks as if -AS IF- it was shot in progressive mode: it is jerky and therfore the sound seems to be not in sync with the pic. I repeat it was normal prior. I made 5 sub clips from it and they all work fine. When I proceeded to make the 6th sub clib, I must have hit some key or something that made it appear this way. Now if I try to make a sub clip it will look as if it is in "progressive mode"
All other clips and sub clips are fine! and this particular clip was fine up till I did something to it ! :)
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 10:25 PM   #767
Regular Crew

I solved it! basically I deleted the clip and I imported it again from my hard drive. IT WORKED :) I love the MAC.
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #768
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's very good news...but still a bit of a mystery, eh? Well whatever worked is good. Thanks for reporting back and putting closure on this puzzle for everyone.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 10:56 PM   #769
Regular Crew

Well...

It's not that disappointing as far as news. Although they apparently are strapped for moving forward with the drivers (it seems a financial issue to me), they do appear to be proactive about OS X support via their pending beta program.
Old September 9th, 2002, 11:02 PM   #770
Regular Crew

By chance...

By chance, did you layer this graphic over a video layer that had been filtered and rendered?
Old September 9th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #771
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I agree that, at face value, the reply seems "proactive". And, to be fair, the reply to this, my 5th, inquiry did appear to have been assembled by a human, albeit 3 weeks after my inquiry.

The "disappointment" for me stems from nearly a year of inquiries into this matter followed either by no response or robotic "real soon now" responses. For over seven months Matrox's site indicated that the drivers were imminent.

Nobody likes to see $1,000 of equipment sitting in a box on the floor, idled by the vendor's lack of support. But the stinger is this continuing "real soon now" position that Matrox is spinning. Clearly FCP is heading down a path that overshadows much of the RTMac's sizzle. OK, I can accept that the RTMac's days are finished. But I'd be happy just to get the RTMac's damn break-out box to function under OS X.

Oh well, no point grousing. It looks like I should more earnestly consider how to integrate that RTMac box into my office's decorating scheme. Hmm, let's see, it's a nice pale blue...maybe some dark gray accent pillows on the sides...

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 05:21 AM   #772
Regular Crew

Optical fades in FCP?

Are there any plugin for FCP that will let me do optical fades inside FCP? I know AFX has a few that does this process but are there any for FCP?

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 06:50 AM   #773
Regular Crew

Yes I did.

Kev
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 07:46 AM   #774
Contributor

Do you mean a more film-like dissolve like:

http://www.digitalfilmtree.com/Large%20Binary%20Assets/Plugin%20Sits/Eureka!%20FilmDissolve.sit

from Digital Film Tree?

You can check out this and their other FCP plugs here:

http://www.digitalfilmtree.com/Eureka.html

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:14 PM   #775
Regular Crew

Thanx Clayton. Those plugins have pretty much what im looking for. Now there is only one slight problem. I'm cropping much of my source material to get rid of unwanted things outside the white background. But when i use these filters, they think the now transparent parts are black (even though i have a white image as lowest layer in the composition). Just like they are only seeing the current layer and nothing else. Is there any workaround for this? I don't want a big black field to pop up in the transition.

/Henrik
Henrik Bengtsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 07:15 PM   #776
New Boot

Congrats!
Just got my G4 a week ago, and my wife is starting to complain.
Today I found a good price for the Western Digital 120 GB hard drive.
It was a little more expensive because of the 8 Mg buffer, but everyone I talked to said it really boosted the performance.

Check with <http://www.pricegrabber.com> to compare prices on the
Western Digital 120 GB 7200 rpm ultra ATA100 120GBX drive ($161.00)

I purchased it from newegg.com.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jeff Patnaude
Mac Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 07:46 PM   #777
Contributor

I'm not sure I exactly understand your setup, but it sounds like you need to nest the layers of clips on either side of your transitions. (Then add the transitions to the nests themselves.)

HTH,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 10:12 PM   #778
Regular Crew

That makes you a...

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Mike, that's great news! I'm confident that you'll have a long positive experience with this Mac and the next, and the next,...

After nearly 20 yrs in a PC-only world I was skeptical. No more.

Have a blast! -->>>

That qualifies you as a Switcher, Ken.

;)
Old September 10th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #779
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mac Daddy : Congrats!
Just got my G4 a week ago, and my wife is starting to complain.
Today I found a good price for the Western Digital 120 GB hard drive.
It was a little more expensive because of the 8 Mg buffer, but everyone I talked to said it really boosted the performance.

Check with <http://www.pricegrabber.com> to compare prices on the
Western Digital 120 GB 7200 rpm ultra ATA100 120GBX drive ($161.00)

I purchased it from newegg.com.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jeff Patnaude -->>>

If that is the 8mb buffer version, then that is a great deal. I paid $206 for mine via Other World Computing. Very nice drive, I have it in an OWC Mercuruy Elite enclosure.
Old September 10th, 2002, 10:22 PM   #780
New Boot

dazzle and fcp

Hi!
new to the mac scene I just hooked up fcp 3 and i'm trying to use a dazzle hollywood dv bridge. In trying to capture, fcp hangs on 'allocating disk space' where it sits until i force a close. I contacted apple, they say talk to dazzle. I still haven't heard from dazzle and have been surfing the web for answer to no avail. any thoughts? thanks for any and all help!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite