DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 22nd, 2002, 10:01 PM   #826
Regular Crew

Dan, hi:
An add on question:
Just got my new Dual 1 Gig Mac G4 with Jaguar and QT6 :-).
The FCP 3.0.2 I got with it comes (I think) bundled with QT5. Point is, the QT5 serial and key that comes with the FCP pack doesn't (obviously) unlock the QT6 that came with Jaguar, which is what (also obviously) launches when I ask Jaguar to open QuickTime. I'd really like to use FCP with QT6; so what do I have to do to unlock QT6's pro features?
Options:
1. Ask my Mac retailer to get me the new serial/key - 'cause it sure sounds unfair that I can't use the QT6 that came with the OS!
2. Do I have to buy it from Mac? ( I hope not!)
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM   #827
Warden

Hi Jeff,

I went to your site and all I found were stills and stories. The stills are great, by the way. Maybe I missed the link but I couldn't find the iMovies. Can you give me a hint? Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:43 AM   #828
Warden

FCP needs the Pro version of Quicktime. The OS updates only come with the regular QT version, not the pro. The Pro QT key can be purchased on line at Apples site http://www.apple.com/quicktime/upgrade/ and of course they take credit cards. The key is presented on screen and they also email you a copy and receipt. Open QT in System Preferences and use the registration tab to enter your new key and restart. If you check in QT preferences again it should show pro version. If you don't want to purchase the key, you can wait for FCP 4 and QT 6 Pro will be included in the box. I don't think the dealer will be able to help other than to give you a bootleg pro key which really won't help. I had to pay my $30 and so did a lot of others (many feeling it's unfair, I'm sure).

Jeff
Old September 23rd, 2002, 06:02 AM   #829
Warden

FCP runs on both OS 9 and OS X. The non carbon version will not run on OS X , but should be fine on OS 9.x.x

Jeff
Old September 23rd, 2002, 06:40 AM   #830
Regular Crew

Sorry for that.

Go to "Galleries" > "Bonaire September 2002" and the link to the movie html page is in the header.

Or, here is the direct address: http://www.digitaldiver.net/galleries/bonaire0902/bon0902movie.html
Old September 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM   #831
Regular Crew

Jeff, thanks a million: Guess I'll have to fork out the USD 30 (I have to multiply the local currency by 50 for USD equivalents - believe me, that makes it REALLY unfair!)
BTW, when I entered the QT5 Pro key that came with FCP 3.0.2, my system responded that this was an older key, and would be saved, but that QT6 would need a newer key.
1. Does this mean that QT5 Pro is active, and I can work safely?
2. If the QT authorization HASN'T taken, what kind of problems would I expect to see at this early experimentation stage? (Saving problems? Digitization problems?)
Help! :-)
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 09:55 AM   #832
Warden

OS 10.2 won't work without QT6. FCP with 10.2 requires QT Pro. You can download a QT6 uninstaller and reinstall QT5 if your not working in 10.2 DO NO upgrade to 10.2.1 (free upgrade on Apple site). It has not been certified with FCP 3.0.2 yet. Your key will automatically register QT 5 as Pro if you downgrade from QT6 and install QT5.

Jeff
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:11 PM   #833
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks Jeff,

I'm one of those people that has already ditched OS9 and all things classic and have made the full switch to OSX.

But FCP isn't the problem. It's the VST plug-ins for Peak DV. Can't imagine why Peak DV would come packaged with FCP if no plug-ins were going to be available for the OSX version of Peak DV...unless some carbonized plug-ins were in the works for download once they were ready.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:17 PM   #834
Warden

When 3.0 was released it only ran on 9.x.x so the plug-ins were enclosed. Then about April FCP was approved for X and the plug-ins became useless. did you try going to peaks site to see if they have any freebies for FCP users? Some sites do, I don't know about Bias.

Jeff
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:47 PM   #835
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff,

The Peak site does offer one "application" update from the version provided when you purchase FCP 3.0...but that one also doesn't include any carbonized VST plug-ins.

Guess I'll have to dig out the wallet.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 07:24 PM   #836
doctorxex

Download the demo of Deck. it comes w/ some good basic VST plug ins.

want something more esoteric, and free? see:
http://www.smartelectronix.com/~destroyfx/

love and sealions,
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #837
Major Player

I find that when compressing music or audio with lower frequencies that the IMA 4:1 codec does a better job. With QDesign 2 I tend to get too large of a loss on the bass endthat sounds grabled and hissing. It encodes at about the same size as well. The squid are great by the way, it is amazing how they move about, and with such great speed and agility as well.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:17 AM   #838
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mark. I will try IMA 4:1. I wasn't entirely pleased with the audio, but thought that QDesign was the best alternative.

Which brings up a question for those with more experience. In trying to compress into something reasonable for the web, I tried lots of different combinations of video settings and a few changes in the audio settings. But the only way to find out if the settings yielded the results I was looking for to create the file.

Anyone know of a way to more quickly get an idea of the file size of a QT file based on the current size and the compression settings selected?
Old September 25th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #839
Regular Crew

DVD Studio Pro 1.0 / Can't use Preview

"Sorry, no compatable DVD-Video decoding software on your system".

When I receive that message does that mean that I need a DVD burner in order to use the Preview in DVD Studio Pro?

I can't see what I've done, how the menus or tracks work.
Thanks for any tips.

tiletile

"
Bill Furner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:36 PM   #840
Warden

It can be a number of things, but the best things you can do is upgrade from DVDSP 1.0 It was very buggy. You could have a hardware problem depending on the Mac (what type?) and OS (9.x.x or OS X?) But the easiest is to upgrade DVD SP.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite