NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 73 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 12th, 2002, 09:41 PM   #1081
Warden

There are Post Production companies that will do authoring. But I wouldn't expect the replicator to build the master from my data. Even if they do authoring as a service, your still going to be charged for it. I burn data DVD as backups for my FCP projects and store media clips, graphics, audio etc.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 11:00 AM   #1082
Regular Crew

No Effects in FCP3

Hello,

I just installed FCP3 (my own) on a new twin p G4 (my schools) and can't use any effects, audio or video. There is no effects tab in the browser (like the manual says there should be) and in the pull down menu from the top of the screen I can see all the categories but the individual effects are grayed out and un-selectable. One time though the video filters (and the video filters only) were not grayed out, and I used a matte, but while it was rendering FCP shut down. (I think it crashed because the auto save clicked on-- making this an unrelated question-- can anyone support that hypothesis?) When I restarted FCP, all effects were once again grayed out. The only idea I have is that I'm not sure if I successfully registered and unlocked the new QuickTime that came with FCP. The G4 I'm working on has never been connected to the internet so I sent the registration in the mail. Is unlocking dependant on online registration? And would this cause the effects anomaly? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

vince
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #1083
Warden

It could be a number of things. What version of FCP, Quicktime, OS etc. are you running. My best guess at this point is you've not upgrade FCP or QT to the required version. It could be a preferences issue (trash FCP preferences) or you may need to reinstall FCP. Give me more info and I'll sort it out.

Jeff
Old November 13th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #1084
Regular Crew

DV files from PC to Mac?

Is there a simple way to transfer DV files from a Windows machine to a Mac? Or the other dierection?
Old November 13th, 2002, 05:05 PM   #1085
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

What version of each platform are you using?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:26 PM   #1086
Regular Crew

Jeff,

First of all thanks for your help. I'm running OSX version 10.2.1, FCP 3.0.2 (EDU) and QuickTime 6.0.1. Actually today things started working- I think. I noticed that the video filters are available when I have a sequence open, but still no tab in the browser, and I still couldn't get transitions. So I command clicked an edit and chose the defalt edit which was a fade and it worked, so then I looked back up on the pull down and they were all available. Strange. As of right now all seems to be well, but if you know of some reason for this, or of some way of preventing it in the future, maybe I'd sleep better at nights. And any advice on preferences would be great.

Thanks

vince
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 11:27 PM   #1087
Warden

I would try upgrading Quicktime to 6.0.2 and OS X to 10.2.2 This is very stable for me and on most of the other boards this combination is solving a lot of issues for FCP users.

However, I doubt that will cure the unusual flakiness your having. Start by trashing FCP preferences (write down all your preferences and settings because this will wipe all your preset out). You can find them here Users>user short name>Library>Preferences>Final Cut Pro User Data>Final Cut Pro 3 Preferences. Restart after trashing the preferences and fill in your preferences again. Open a project and see if you've got effects etc. If not, a reinstall of FCP and Quicktime will be in order.

FCP has a mode called Cutting Station that does not have effects. Your not in Cutting Mode are you? If that's the case just switch modes.

Jeff
Old November 14th, 2002, 12:03 AM   #1088
Regular Crew

Windows 2000 on the PC and OSX on the Mac.
Old November 14th, 2002, 12:21 AM   #1089

Jeff,
You should upgrade to Windows 2000...it's much better than 200! (Sorry, couldn't resist <g>.)

Although I have both Win 2000 and OSX systems I've never performed this maneuver. But here's how I'd tackle it, FWIW.

The sheer size of most dv files makes low-cap media impractical for such transfers. Off-hand, a Firewire hard drive is the method that comes to mind. You'll need to first make sure that your PC can accept a Firewire drive connection either through a built-in adapter or a 3rd party adapter.

I'd start with the dv files on the Mac-formatted Firewire drive. You'll need a product such as Mediafour's Mac Drive 5 installed on your PC to be able to read the Mac disk. (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/) The rest should be relatively straight-forward.

Good luck!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM   #1090
Regular Crew

FTP.

Jake.
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 08:56 AM   #1091
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ken, I will do the upgrade to 2000 immediately! That software looks like exactly what I need, soI will give it a try. Not a bad price, either.
Old November 14th, 2002, 12:32 PM   #1092
Regular Crew

Are these two machines in two different locations?

As Jake suggested briefly, if they are not geographically seperated, it would seem like ethernet would be a lot simpler way to go about this, especially if you have to do it frequently.

Assuming you have no lan at all now:

You can get 10/100 card for the PC for $20 and an RJ45 crossover cable for 5 bucks or less. Plug 'em in and you are done.

OSX has decent built in SMB compatibilty through samba, which means you can browse shares on your windows box as if from another windows machine.

With 100Mbit ethernet you should expect an absolute minimum throughput of around 8MBytes/sec, up to a theoretical maximum of 12.5MB/sec.

lyd
Dave Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 03:09 PM   #1093
New Boot

Dsr-du1

Can someone know if this portable Sony hd recorder is compatible with FCP?
Thanks.Maurizio.
Maurizio_Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #1094
Warden

It is not currently listed as a supported device http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/qualification.html It may be certified in the future or with a future version of FCP. It may also work fine and Apple hasn't had the opportunity to certify the unit.

Jeff

DSRDU1 http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...lInfo?id=67058
Old November 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM   #1095

White Text on Black BG Too Hot

I just finished my first short film and used FCP 3 for editing and creating the titles. On the computer, the titles appeared sharp and fine. But when I printed to tape and then watched it on a TV monitor, the white text was way too bright and the edges were rough. Also, I don't know if this is related to the brightness, but after the text faded in fully to it's brightest (too bright) point, the text suddenly became a bit distorted (looked italicized).

Any ideas what I need to do to prevent the distortion? And why is it that my text isn't nice and smooth on a TV monitor?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite