NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 18th, 2002, 04:26 PM   #1126
Regular Crew

It is the Apple media that I had the problems with. Although in the past Apple discs worked fine, the first three that I've burned from this five pack that I bought have had problems. I have one new Memorex disc that I have not yet burned. I plan on burning that disc to see if the Memorex disc plays back ok.

I have not yet tried the discs on a different DVD player. But, the discs that I've burned in the past have played back fine with my player. I do plan on trying that as soon as I'm able to get to another player.
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:02 AM   #1127
ChorizoSmells

Is it dropping frames at the same spot every time? That happened to me once. At the same point on the video (a 4 min. music video) it would drop a frame and it would stop. I ended up rerendering that particular clip, I think I had enlarged it by 2%. Once I rerendered it it played back fine.

If you still can't get it figured out and need a quick copy on tape, turn off the dropped frame warning in your preferences, if it drops a frame, you might see a slight glitch but you can go back and find the cause later.

Let us know if you find out what caused it. Good luck.
Old November 19th, 2002, 08:14 PM   #1128
Major Player

While it might not be the root of your problem, you should also get the FCP upgrades from Apple. They cured several problems. I'd avoid Jaguar for the time being, however.
Old November 20th, 2002, 04:24 AM   #1129
New Boot

Monitor question

Hi all,
for money reason I cant buy an apple monitor.I can work with two 17 or 19 crt monitor.So what is your advice (Iiyama,Lacie etc.) to use with FCP,DVDSP,Photoshop?
Thanks,Maurizio.
Maurizio_Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 05:38 AM   #1130
Warden

Most people who are using their Macs for professional work use either Apple screens, LaCie (for art, graphics, photography,printing) or Mits/NEC (for video work). But certainly there is cross over users. The Nec/NEC us Trinitron technology and Sony phosphors so it may display video a little better than LaCie. Look at both and trust you eye. After all it will be displaying your work.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 06:17 AM   #1131
Regular Crew

Help, sec. audiotrack disapears...

I'm already dead, killed by FCP, but if somebody would help me, maybe I could resurge and drink somewhere a glass of wine in peace...

PROBLEM:
In the timeline I put a Videoclip together with 2 different Audioclips (AIFF), ask for "Stereo Pair", and "Link" them all together. So I do have now a "Combined-clip". For testing I play it in the Canvas- perfect, I test it also on the Viewer with a doubble-click and play it- perfect.

Then to create a safety copy I drug the "Combined-clip" into the Browser.
- Look at the info in the Browser-all seems perfect
- Doubble-Click on the "Combined-Clip" in the Browser and play it- Perfect, both track are there
- NOW I drug the "Combined-Clip" to the Timeline again, and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED: THE SECOND AUDIO-TRACK DISSAPEARED

I just can't find a way to get this second track into the Timeline. By the way, ALL settings are perfect (48k and 16 bit). The only strange thing is that controlling the clip with "Item proprieties" I get 16 bit, Mono as answer, BUT on the other hand in the Browser it says that it is a Stereo clip, and also looking it in the Viewer SHOWS me and PLAYS me the 2 audiotracks. So what is happening, and how can I resolve this?

HISTORY
- 30.000 feet of 35mm film telecined on PAL 25 FPS (only video)
- By use of the Flexfile I created a Batchfile with Cinematools
- Captured everything into FCP 3.02
- Linked the clips to the DB of Cinematools
- Conformed the clips to 24 FPS
- Divided (in FCP) the clips into subclips
- Converted the audio files from BWF (48k, 24bit) into AIFF (48k, 16bit) with BarbaBatch 3.1. (The recording was made with a DEVA HD recorder)
- Import and test the files: they play perfectly

CONFIGURATION
- System X.2.1
- CPU 867 Mhz
- FCP 3.02

Any helpful idea?????
Thanks
Istvan
RED #1161
Istvan Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:45 AM   #1132
Warden

Have you tried nesting the sequence? Use FCP help and search "nest". Is the audio track missing or you just can't hear it? Check your audio controls (pan , fade) see if they aren't set wrong.

Jeff
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:00 AM   #1133
New Boot

Thank you Jeff.
Maurizio_Panella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #1134
Regular Crew

Hello Jeff,
no, the 2. track is just not there anymore once I put the clip back into the Timeline.

It is so strange because before bringing the clip to the Timeline I can still see and hear it in the Viewer. But once in the Timeline it disapears totaly, indeed double-clicking later on the clip in the Timeline, at that time it will show in the Viewere ONLY Ch1 in the audio section.

I cannot see why and where nesting the sequenzes could help me? Wouldn't this only increment the already complex referenced datastructure?
Thanks for helping
Istvan
RED #1161
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:00 AM   #1135
Warden

Nesting is what you want. If it doesn't work delete it. But nesting should solve your problem.

Jeff
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:09 AM   #1136
vuduproman

Thank you

Thanks for the info. I think I will look into renting one for a few days.
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:29 AM   #1137
Regular Crew

OK, I see now what you mean. Basically I should simply create many additional sequenzes and use them like "containers" for the syncronized clips, right? It could be a workaround, boring for 7 hour footage, but an idea, thanks.

I hope only that my problem doesn't come from the fact that I used a lot the subclip function, because if this feature is unstable, then it will blow me the whole work exactly the last day of editing, I bet.
Thanks
Istvan
RED #1161
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:05 AM   #1138
Warden

Rumors on FCP 4

If you like rumors (and who doesn't?) Think Secret has reported on FCP 4 http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcutpro4.html Now, no one on this site or any other really knows for sure what FCP 4 will contain. If they do know, they have signed a nondisclosure agreement with Apple and aren't saying. Apple has been known to prosecute individuals that have leaked information. But it does make for fun reading and speculation.

Jeff
Old November 21st, 2002, 10:50 AM   #1139
Regular Crew

Figures

I just about have all the bumps worked out in FCP 3.0, and things are working pretty smothly. I guess I'm due for more trauma :-)
Old November 21st, 2002, 11:29 AM   #1140
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff: You're right; software product rumors are fun. Mark: I feel the same way. FCP finally runs appliance-smooth. Must be about time for carnage.

I'd be surprised if Apple integrated 24p into the main product for the following reasons. (a) They're currently making more money selling it separately, and (b) there are too few variable frame rate video cameras in peoples' hands right now.

I think that the big bump with FCP4 will be "real-time" and background effects processing (similar to iMovie's).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite