NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2002 - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 21st, 2002, 11:37 AM   #1141
Regular Crew

FCP 4.0 & Logic Audio

Maybe just maybe they'll integrate some of the Logic Audio tools into it ala Avid / Digidesign. It sure would be nice to record voice over and or dialog into FCP without having to use Peak. If you have ever used Logic or ProTools you know how great this would be!
M.
Old November 21st, 2002, 12:01 PM   #1142
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Marc,

FCP3 already has a voice-over tool. It's pretty good, too. Hey, if you didn't already know this you just got a free upgrade, eh! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1143
Warden

I'm hoping for some REAL, real time effects (background processing would be nice also). I could see Apple developing two versions of FCP. They might develop a PRO version like Avid. The PRO version might have Logic support, 24p and DV50. The standard version continues to develop as a less professional, feature packed version. Apple could get another $300 to $500 for the PRO version.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 02:18 PM   #1144
Regular Crew

I noticed it said there would be support for Firewire 2.0. Is there a faster version of firewire coming, or is this something entirely different?
Old November 21st, 2002, 03:48 PM   #1145
Warden

Yes, it is FireWire upping the ante over USB2. FireWire is 400mb/s, USB2 is 480mb/s and FireWire 2 is 800mb/s. It is backwards compatible, but my understanding (I might not be remembering this right) is that having a slower device on the chain will slow all the devices on the chain. Apple may have overcome that hurdle, I don't know. The speed increase will be necessary as data increases (DV50, HD etc.).

Jeff
Old November 21st, 2002, 07:17 PM   #1146
Major Player

Upgrade questions

im running 10.1.5 presently but want to go 10.2. does the 10.2 clean install, install OS9 also? reason being my FCP3 is an upgrade version from 2 . am i to assume QT6 which is included in 10.2 is not the pro version and that i would need to buy the pro option to work with FCP3? if is is the case would i need to install QT6 pro before installing FCP3.
is iDVD2 included on the jaguar disc?
thanks for any info
matt
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM   #1147
Warden

How do you have your Hard Drive partitioned now? Where are your apps and System (for OS 10.1.5) ? What version of FCP are you running? QT 6 pro is needed and not included. The pro key is purchased from Apple for $29.95. I don't believe the order of installing QT6 is important. iDVD is not included with Jaguar to the best of my recollection.

Jeff
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:12 PM   #1148
Major Player

jeff
my hard drive is partitioned from the factory with os9 & X being seperate as far as i know. i have never changed the partition or anything on the G4 it came with 9 & 10 installed (867 QS ).
my version of FCP3 is 3.0.2
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:32 PM   #1149
Warden

No need to worry. Read this article from MacWorld http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/features/install.html . Do the archive and install option on the Jaguar Disk. It worked great for me and then you don't need to reinstall all your software. Once your sure everything is working fine (in a couple of days) throw the archived system files away. Once Jaguar is installed update to 10.2.2 http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120164 This is the combo update that goes from 10.2 to 10.2.2

Buy the QT6 Pro key and register the key. Run FCP and you should be good to go. A word of caution. If you are in the middle of a project, wait until finished to update. Why risk you work just to update? Good luck.

Jeff
Old November 22nd, 2002, 08:16 AM   #1150
Warden

MacWorld article on browsers http://www.macworld.com/2002/12/feat...ers/index.html Note Chimera is now at 0.6

Jeff
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:21 PM   #1151
Major Player

thanks jeff for the help and the links! its greatly appreciated!
matt
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:04 PM   #1152
Machinist Mate

OK, this brings up a somewhat similar issue. When I first installed FCP3 I was able to apply dissolves, etc. in "real time" mode, which is the main reason I spent the money on the upgrade from FCP2. Now, however, I get the red bar on the timeline when I apply any effect (it used to be green, indicating real-time, no rendering preview), and have to render before I can see the results. What happened here?
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:11 PM   #1153

Mike,
This has actually happened to me, too, on my G4-1GHz dp desktop. Quite a while ago, in fact. It's not been annoying enough for me to research deeply since I use few effects that would ever render RT anyway. But it is a puzzle. I'll dig further and let's see what we can come up with.

Also, I've a new PowerBook 1G on its way so I'll be keen on paying attention to how FCP installs there with regard to RT effects.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:39 PM   #1154
Warden

The most common cause and the easiest to remedy is capture settings and time line settings not matching. The audio should be 48kHz if your using Canon and make sure NTSC DV is used for video. The other cures are not pleasant.

Jeff
Old November 23rd, 2002, 08:51 AM   #1155

<<But for any movement or other effects AE is the way to go. It just does a much nicer, smoother job.>>

Ken, I've never seen AE operate first hand...is it possible (and fairly simple) to animate title text to do things like fade in and fade out PLUS fade in and out of focus PLUS ripple/wave like smoke...in other words, to get a "ghostly" text appearance? Or is that something that will require additional software and/or plug-ins?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite