Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM   #271
Regular Crew

Quick question about HDV compression

Okay so here was my workflow.

I import HDV footage. I cut it, did some correction, then rendered it back out into a Quicktime Movie with Current Settings and did *not* check the Re-compress Frames option. Does that add another generation of HDV compression to the footage even if I use Current Settings and don't click Re-compress Frames?
Benji Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM   #272
Major Player

Motion won't open anymore??? any ideas?

Motion won't open at all anymore? any ideas as to what I can do.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM   #273
Major Player

HD-DVD menu madness!

Been having a great time burning 720p60 HD-DVD's onto DVD-R (DVD-5) BUT there is one thing driving me nuts with DVDSP.

The Toshiba A2 displays HD menus differently than Macs (using Mac DVD player and DVDSP's simulator). In other words, what you see on the computer is not what you get on the HD DVD player. Square buttons show up in odd places. It is possible that the Toshiba is buggy so I'm going to check another player when I get the chance.

This will probably all go away upon the next DVDSP update.

Anyone else having menu issues with HD on DVD-5's?
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #274
Major Player

re capture on my mac quad

hi, can some one tell me the best way to capture my footage from a jvc hd 201, currently i use DVHS Cap and streemclip, but i want to try and use a capture card (i think) if i do capture via rgb how do you get the audio?
i am shooting in 25p, but want to shoot in 50p as i need to do a lot of slow motion, or should it be up rezed to 1080i ? any help would be good,

thanks rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #275
Regular Crew

just double checking...

As i wait for my Adobe production suite key, ive been playing on my friends G5 with Final Cut Express 2.0.

Ive imported the footage from my Canon XH A1, HDV 1080i60 and just wanted to know if final cut express 2.0 is seeing the HDV footage or if its downgrading it to SD footage?

Thanks
Alessandro Garabaghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #276
Major Player

Final Cut Suite without Sound track Pro?

Anyone know of a better application to deal with multi-track audio then STP? seems that if I export my tracks to any other system (Pro Tools) I end up with one or two (stereo) single files instead of audio associated with each clip. I'd like to retain the clip based audio. I don't mind coming back into Final Cut with a two track mix but would like to deal with the audio on the same number and type of tracks that I set up in Final Cut. STP is the right idea but just not there yet (in my experience). Maybe I should change NLE to Vegas?
thx

Final Cut Suite 5.1
Intel Mac
Sound track Pro 1
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Settings for Optimum quality converting from HD 25f to SD

Hi,

I have some footage from my XH-A1 shoot in HD 25f, what settings in Compressor should I use to gain the best quality converting to SD?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #278
New Boot

Why do my Livetype titles look so bad in FCE?

Here is the deal:
I make a title in LT, and it looks great.

I render it (because for some reason I can't export it, as in the option to export under the "File" menu is greyed out, not black, meaning I can't click it)

I import the title to FCE and it looks all grainy on my screen, on movies that I export to my HD, or online. BUT - when they go onto a DVD they look fine.

What is the deal here?
Brennan Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #279
New Boot

Making a multicam sequence with verying frame rates?

Hopefully someone can help me -
We recently hired a company to organize a 7 camera multicam shoot of a concert for a dvd. We used 7 HVX-200's in varying capacities.

Heres the problem - they had 5 of the cameras set to 24pN (as planned) and the other two set differently. The timeline reads 29.97, but I'm not sure if they shot it in 30p, or simply 24p (versus pN) or any other format that ends up in the timeline as 29.97 due to how it is wrapped....to be honest, that whole side of things is still a bit cloudy to me.

My question is this - Is there a way, and if so what is the best way, to get those two clips into a multicam sequence with the other 5. If I perform a pulldown, will the adding/removing of "extra" frames cause a form of drift between the converted files and the native 24p files?

We already are in a bind enough having only captured 35 minutes from those two cameras (versus the ~85min alotted with 24pN), and I would really hate to not be able to use them all together.

Thanks!
Ryan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #280
Regular Crew

Audio Sync issues after reverse telecine

I shot some footage for a friend of mine a few weeks ago. I shot it with a Canon XL2. I used the 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown option as the editor likes to use reverse telecine and edit in a 23.98 timeframe. He is editing in FCP 5.1. He is having an issue with the audio being out of sync after running the reverse telecine. It seems to happen more and more as you get further into the tape. The audio gets to be about 3 seconds off.

I've searched the forums but haven't seen anything specific. I'll keep looking but if you've into this, I'd love to hear any possible fixes.

Thanks!
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #281
Major Player

capture shows audio delay

while capturing from a sony V1 (so called in europe) HDV, using fcp 5 and a mac bookpro and external hd, i got a serious delay in the audio when I played it back through the speakers, and it is not a few frames but full seconds, i have never had this problem before. (capturing dv not hdv)
thanks,

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #282
Regular Crew

Open timeline FCP6

Question,

If I want to shoot footage with an HVX200 mostly in 24p but want also shoot some overcranked footage(for slow mo) as well.

A. Do I have to capture the clips separate still using different presets?

B. What happens when I drop it into the open timeline..does it just conform to the timeline? or will it playback at the fps the clips was shot at? If this doesnt make sense...how to you mix overcranked footage with 24p footage in FCP6?

Thank you ahead of time.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #283
Regular Crew

Black Curtain

I have a stage video (shot with Canon XH A1-HDV60i) that has a black back curtain with no light splashed on it. It creates a very strong waveform signal at 1-3%. When I encode it for DVDSP, the black becomes pixelated and blocky with the very few shades of black.

What's the best way to deal with this?
1. Push the black level up with the 3-way color corrector limited to black only with the luma. Add a little smoothing. Or just add smoothing
2. Apply Nattress noise reduction filter.
3. Use another filter and method to smooth the black.
4. Encode in Compressor with shorter GOP
5. All of the above
6. Other
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #284
Major Player

Adobe (was Serious Magic) ULTRA chromakeyer now runs on VMWare inside Mac OSX

Something of a curio, but if anyone's interested, I just got Serious Magic's ULTRA running on the latest update (1.1) of VMWare's Fusion. It won't work with GPU boost activated since this requires pixel shader support which is not supported with the DirectX 9 virtualization in Fusion. Therefore of limited use, but I just used it to successfully output some test footage. They seem to be working fast on this, so I'm hoping for shader support soon(ish).
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #285
Go Go Godzilla

Fix Disappearing Render Files in FCP6

The issue at hand is after rendering any sequence then saving and quitting FCS, upon re-opening FCS and the same project the render files get moved to the Trash. Not sure what causes this behavior but here's two fixes we've verified works:

1. Prior to re-opening FCS check your Trash; if you see the render folders there simply move them back to where you've told FCP to make them.

2. (Permanent fix) If possible (assuming you have more than 2 drives to work with) move your Thumbnail & Waveform Cache and Autosave Vault location to a physically different drive than where your render files are being sent. This seems to clear the issue.

Last edited by Robert Lane; November 22nd, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite