NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Best way to export HD video incorporating 60 and 24 frames?

I shot a music video that uses both 24 frames for normal footage and 60 frames for slow motion footage. What is the proper way to export it?
Jeff Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #32
New Boot

Need help!

I'm trying to conform a clip that I shot with my Fx1 to 23.98 in cinema tools, but when ever I do it, it ends up trying to conform all my captured clips in the project, even though I only selected one clip. And even then, all the clips go to a skipped folder in the capture scratch folder for that project, and the conformed folder is empty. Not sure if that makes sense, but does anyone know what is going on?
Alex Horner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Log and Capture in MPEG2

We do a lot of dance competitions and I am trying to figure out how to log and capture as a MPEG2 so it would be quicker to burn DVDs on site. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #34
Regular Crew

HD DVD .EVO Files

I had burned an HD DVD to a standard 4.7GB dvd disc. I need to rip the content back of this disk.. Are there any programs out there that can do this? the files are in the .evo format!

Thanks

James
James Blackburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Final Cut Pro to Compressor Problem cont...

I am asking for some help. I think I my post got lost or is of no interest.
I would really appreciate it if some "pro users" of FCP-Compressor would take a moment to read and respond. I see that lots of forum members looked at my posts but only a few responded. Rather than retyping the entire post just read the thread. Someone must have encountered this sort of problem. I read the Bonzai step by step. Makes no difference. A glitch in Compressor? I have reinstalled etc. Basically it's HDV to SD, edit natively and export to QT Mov and import to Compressor.In Preview in Compressor the left side looks fine the (Compressed) right side looks terrible. interlace is what it looks like. Using Sony HD monitor have checked the path several times but must be missing something...
Thanks
John Huling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #36
Regular Crew

SoundtrackPro and Kona LH

Hi:

FinalCut Studio's Soundtrackpro (latest version) seems to have a bug and I wonder if anyone else has encountered it.

I came across the problem when I defined my Kona LH as the Input and Output device for SoundtrackPro and found that my attached powered monitors were silent. FinalCut audio, on the other hand, works as expected with the selection of the Kona card. As for SountrackPro, the only method that seems to work at the present time, is to assign the Kona as the Mac system audio output device but this is not the best solution since there is no way of controlling the volume of system sounds when directed through the Kona. I might add, that trashing the preferences folder did not resolve the issue either.
A conversation with Apple Tech Support this day seems to support the presence of this bug and the absence of any current solution.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so, have you found a work-around???
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #37
Major Player

Moved From PPro to FCP, I Have a few Questions...

I finally bought a FCP system after years of using Premiere Pro. (MacPro, 3Ghz, 4GB Ram, 1900 Video Card) I love the new system and I'm excited about many of the features that FCP has that PPro doesn't. However there are a few features of Premiere Pro that I regularly use that I cannot find an equivalent for in FCP. I'm looking to see if anyone here has any suggestions. Either equivalent keystrokes, workarounds, or general workflow recommendations that don't use my old way.

1) In PPro, I can use Alt+WheelMouse when over the timeline to zoom in and out. (I know the Mac can do a Control+WheelMouse to "Zoom", but this is an operating system function) Is there any way to zoom the timeline using the mouse? Can it be configured as a preference?

2) I PPro, I regularly use the selection tool for MOST of my editing. When trimming, you can hold down Ctrl and PPro will perform a ripple-edit. Without the Ctrl key it simply does a trim. FCP does not seem to have any shortcut like this. Do you HAVE to use the Ripple tool (rr) in FCP to ripple edit?

3) I assume there is no way to name tracks? I can get over it, but this was a nice feature in PPro.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #38
Major Player

Final Cut update: experiences with 5.1.3

I haven't seen too much on the new Final Cut update, 5.1.3, which supposedly fixes the transfer back and forth between Intel macs and G5 macs (a fix which I need.) Any more reports from you brave souls who've updated?

We've got one thread about mpg files crashing FCP 5.1.3 here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86726

And a thread about 25p footage looking funky on 5.1.3 here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86754

And a problem with 5.1.3 scratch disks here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86647

Anyone with On2 or Flip4Mac plugins? Anyone with multiple video cards?

Chuck
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM   #39
New Boot

Working with HD on Final Cut

Hi guys,

I am new to using Final Cut myself and have a few questions I was hoping somebody could help me with.

I have footage shot on HDV at 720p 30f, off a JVC HD100, and wish to cut it up on FCP.

I have captured and logged the footage successfully but when I attempt to introduce it to a sequence I must render the footage, not only to begin with but after I make any changes in my edit I must render once more.

I have checked that my sequence settings are the same as my clip settings but am still having the problem.

Can anybody offer any assistance or perhaps an easier way to capture and cut.

I have an urgent film school project to complete and this is proving to be a nightmare.

Thank you very much,

Dave
David Lester Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Is this the year? FCP6 and FCX?

Check this out, friends:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702finalcutpro6.html

Some juicy tidbits in there, and even rumbles of a new version of Shake, now called Phenomenon. I'd love to make wild comments about how cool this could be, but I'll leave that to others. I'm tired.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM   #41
Major Player

FCP 5.1.4 Update

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Fin..._5.0_lbn_z.pdf

Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 provides important bug fixes to resolve plugin issues. This update is recommended for all Final Cut Pro 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.2 and 5.1.3 customers.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #42
Major Player

Nattress releases Big Box of Tricks for FCP!!

Nattress has just released Big Box of Tricks for Final Cut Pro, which incorperates Nattress Set 1 & Set 2 plus a whole lot of new filters and effects.

Can't wait to start using them. One that immediately caught my eye is the new G 50 Percent, which is described:

"This filter creates a smooth 50% slow motion by splitting fields into full frames. Controls to blend between fields and to add anti-aliasing ensure a smooth slow motion."

This will be great for people like me who don't have After Effects. There's also a great time lapse feature. Now I'll be able to get much of the functionality of the HVX using my Canon's if I plan shots right. Elton Barlow has already shown that this can be done, but using these new Nattress effects should make the task super easy.

For those of you who haven't used Nattress before, I highly recommend Graeme's packages, they're amazing. And the price, $100, wow... fantastic value. Along with Nattress Film Effects, Big Box of Tricks is going to be the must have third party software for FCP.

Keep rolling out that software Graeme, top stuff, thanks!

(I see 'Plugins for Motion' is on the way - can't wait)
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #43
New Boot

Bootcamp Editing, FCP to After Effects in Win?

Hi all,

I've entered into another project on my Macbook Pro and run into the same old problems, After Effects runs slow as hell, even with nucleo, and I don't want to have to re-edit this on my PC. I've already cut it in Final Cut, but I have greenscreen to pull and effects to create.

I thought, hey, I'll open the video files from Final Cut in After Effects in Windows through Mac Drive. Only problem is that I get no video, it recognizes it as far as lenghth and audio, but the screen is white.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? Edit in Apple/Final Cut, then do Mograph in Windows/After Effects and put it back into Final Cut? Are there tools I'm missing?
Elliot Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Mpeg Streamclip and codec

Hi:
For those of you who use MPEG Streamclip to convert their mt2, avi or other formats into Quicktime (mov), which codec has proven most useful, i.e. Apple Jpg A, Apple Intermediate, etc.?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Export HDV from compressor for web

Hi all

I had a quick question that I thought for sure would have been answered on the boards but I did not find it.

What is the best preset using compressor to export to the web with. It seems that everytime I choose the H.264 encoder it wants the video to be SD @ 640x480. Is there a way to preserve my aspect ration when exporting for the web using h.264. I finally got frusterated and exported using FCP to a custom quicktime movie utilizing mp4 since it encodes a bit quicker and still looks nice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again I'm just trying to find out the best way to export an HDV sequence to the web using h.264 and still have the widescreen look. I have a feeling im going to hear..."just change your height and width settings"

Thanks again for your time.
Jourdan McClure is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite