DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Capturing In FCP 5.1

So i have my MBP 2.16 with 1gb ram.. I am capturing with a canon gl2. So i figured out that i can only capture video with the gl2 plugged in to the fw400 slot without my fw800 external drive plugged in the the MBP. Which sux for capturing video, cause i have to unplug my drives to capture.

But my new prob is, when i capture, the video in FCP is really choppy vs. what i can see on the camera where all the footage is smooth. When i capture a clip, and watch it ont he MBP its smooth. Last night i did a batch capture and i kept getting a error saying my audio wasnt sync with the video and the capture had an error, and i would have to recapture the clip. which when recapturing it was fine. what i want to fix is why is the video play back on the MBP so choppy. when i used to capture in vegas i had no prob, i could just watch the footage on my pc and it was smooth no prob.

I did easy set up in FCP. Im begining to think that there is a prob with my fw ports or something.. anyways thanks for everyones help in this matter.
Matt Hagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #77
Major Player

Closing FCP 5.2 Capture Window

Hey all,

I have a lot of tapes to capture, so typically as I am leaving the office I start a tape playing in my XH-A1 and start the video capturing so that when I come in the next day I have a tape done.

When I am there for the capturing, the tape ends and I get a pop-up dialog that tells me the tape has ended. I say ok, I close the capture window, and I go about looking at the footage.

When I do it over night, however, most of the time I get the dialog that says the tape is done, I click OK, and the I can't close the capture window. When I try it just beeps at me. I can access the main program to save, but the capture window is still on top. Eventually I have to kill the entire FCP process to get out of it, and then run it again.

This is a true pain, and I can't for the life of me think what might be causing it.

Any input?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #78
Regular Crew

XL2 24pA FCP settings

I am currently trying to capture about 35 tapes of 24pA 16x9 footage I shot with a Canon XL2, and I want to make sure I have FCP settings right.

For Sequence Presets, I am using DV NTSC 48 kHz - 23.98 and I checked the box for anamorphic 16:9

For Capture Presets, I am using DV NTSC 48 kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal, again with 16:9 checked.

For Device Control, I am just using Firewire NTSC. I am capturing from a cheap miniDV camera.

When I put the captured clips in the timeline, I have to render everything. Is that right?

Also, out of curiosity, how does everyone capture their tapes. I just capture the whole tape in one pass, then break it down in subclips later. Any problem with this method?

Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #79
Regular Crew

P2 Monitoring with DeckLink Studio HD

We have a dual G5 with 4.5Gig RAM running Final Cut 5.1.4. We shoot in Panasonic P2 and edit usually with 30PN material. Video playback is set to Digital Cenema Desktop Preview. That way we have our editing window on the left and our program on the right LCD. We purchased the studio card so that we could monitor component analog on our Sony Multiformat CRT. However, we have not been able to figure out how to set this up. The only time it works correctly is when we us the Synthetic Aperture color correction filter. in SA, you can tell it to use both LCD and CRT monitors. It looks and works great. However, we want to view the Right LCD and the CRT at the same time in FCP since we output our programs for our client's use on both. Can anyone shed light on how to set this up and any other suggestions/tips with DeckLink Stuido for Panasonic P2 24PN and 30PN usage. Thanks so much in advance.
Tom Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #80
Major Player

Real World 8 core and 4 core benchmarks

With the release of FCS2 I am preparing to transition to the mac platform for my NLE.

My big decision is 4 or 8 cores.

After reading this article:
http://www.barefeats.com/octopro1.html

-I have come to the conclusion I need to hear from real world users how the 8 and Quad perform as far as real time rendering in Motion and FCP.

I'd be especially interested to hear rendering times on HDV to mpeg2 or equivalent with some filters, etc.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

-Kevin
Kevin James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Osx 10.4.9?

Hi:

What is the general consenus on Apple's latest OS (10.4.9) release when applied to a PowerMac G5 dual. Specifically, for those of you who have accomplished this update,have you experienced any problems with FCP 5.1.4 and or Shake 4.1?

Thank you in advance,
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #82
Tourist

Urgent Help required in FCP (Custom gradients/Alpha etc)

Hi there,

I'm totally at a loss here! Does anybody know how to use custom gradients (alpha gradients) in photoshop and export them into FCP to composite with video footage?

I basically need to make a sequence where some of the frame is in focus, and some of the frame is blurred, i.e. the illusion of a shallow depth of field but done in post production?

Kinda like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuuq47hYn1Y

Thank you kindly in advance!!
Khaled Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #83
Regular Crew

FCP Effects - TV Noise

Hi Everyone,

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to create a filter or effect (or find one) that looks similar to the TV noise you get when you aren't getting good reception on an old cable TV. It's for a promo video that I'm working on, and I'm trying to get the clip segments to come in and out, with the TV noise as a transition.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I looked at some of the filters in FCP, and they didn't quite accomplish what I wanted.
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #84
Tourist

Compressing an HDV project in Final cut Express 3.5.1

Could anyone give some kind of advice on how to compress my hdv project in fce hd. I've tried several settings so far, but i can not seem to find a good compromise on quality vs. file size..? I definetely want the video quality to be as good as it can be, without the file size of 600mb++ :)

Any tips, suggestions, links?

I have used the apple h.264 codec for my testing so far.
Eino Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Mpegs not importing with audio

I'm working on a project right now and I've got a punch of mpeg files that work fine in quicktime, and when I import them into FCP5.1 they don't have any audio.

Any suggestions how to clear this up?
Thanks
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #86
Regular Crew

how to bring a quick time sequence in fcp

hello
I have recorded sequence in quick time pro from my sony a1u at the native setting.I am not able to import that sequence in fcp.
thank you.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #87
Regular Crew

Media Manager HDV workflow

I have a large project captured as HDV. I want to view and mark some stuff on my Macbook so i want to downrez to a lower resolution, and use markers to make subclips of the captured footage. If I do this, how do I bring these files back to HDV with all the new markers and subclips.
I am sure it is easy in media manager but I haven't done it.
Thanks,
Ryan
fcp studio 5.1.4
Ryan Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Audio not lining up?

Man, my FCP is really playing up latley.....................

I've been capturing clips with some problems latley. The most current one that i cannot figure out is a doozey!

The audio is not lining up with the footage. It's about 5 seconds off. WTF?

I can't understand why either.

Does anybody have any clues? Has anybody every had a similar problem?

the "Sync audio capture to video source" has been ticked off in settings too.....just doesn't make sense.
Ryan Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #89
Regular Crew

New capture card

I do many photo montage slideshows, as well as edit DVCPROHD on a somewhat regular basis. I still do a ton of standard DV as well. I need the ability to import from an analog source for the slideshows. I would like the ability to plug an analog source like that into something like a KONA card and capture away. I will also need the ability to go out to a HD moniter like the BTLH1700. My real question is with the new prores codec, and FCP6, what card do i need to be able to do pro res along with all the analong inputs?

The system this will be loaded on will be a mac pro provided my financing comes through.

THanks for the help!
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #90
Tourist

Studio Set Up

I'm looking to invest in a new Mac Pro to run Final Cut Studio on. I'm wondering what type of set up anyone else has. I shoot with a Panasonic HVX so I need to be able to monitor HD footage- I'm currently thinking about getting two 23" HD monitors running the second one of a Matrox MXO to use to monitor the footage. Anyone have any advice? I'd like to be able to hook up a nice large LCD or Plasma HD TV to my computer as well, but I don't know what type of adaptor or video card I would need for that. Thanks in advance,
Michael P Frederick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite