DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Title text polish and rendering....and rendering... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/97923-title-text-polish-rendering-rendering.html)

David Scattergood July 1st, 2007 05:15 AM

Title text polish and rendering....and rendering...

Is it common for any slight alterations to your text/titles (speed/font adjustments etc) requiring immediate rendering? I've got a blinkin deadline approaching (tomorrow!) for 5 theatre performances all but complete.
The title sequence (crawling) at the end of the performances is putting up a little fight with me...I've used standard Font (Ariel in this case - FCP suggests using only sans serif fonts, although it includes hundreds of fonts within the program itself??).
From the many posts on this subject getting this spot on is fairly tricky. I've taken the opacity down to around 90 and off set the white slightly (white text on black background) and sized the font around 18pts (any larger would dominate the screen and I don't believe this would look good).
As the text is scrolling/crawling it appears to 'bounce/wobble' though I'm not sure if this is what is often referred to the shimmering?
So each time I play around with the text slightly I'm having to render (which can take a couple of minutes each time) - is this usual for text/motion (fixed text does not require constant renders)?

Cheers/

Edward Carlson July 1st, 2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood (Post 705368)
FCP suggests using only sans serif fonts, although it includes hundreds of fonts within the program itself??

FCP reads all the fonts in your fonts folder (/Library/Fonts and username/Library/Fonts.) San serif is recommended because the serifs sometimes are too thin to show up well.
What are you using to create the text? Are you using a regular text generator, or are you using Boris 3D text? Boris always needs a render, which is a pain. Push Option \ to play every frame of the video. It will go slower, but you will be able to see all the text.

David Scattergood July 1st, 2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 705407)
FCP reads all the fonts in your fonts folder (/Library/Fonts and username/Library/Fonts.) San serif is recommended because the serifs sometimes are too thin to show up well.
What are you using to create the text? Are you using a regular text generator, or are you using Boris 3D text? Boris always needs a render, which is a pain. Push Option \ to play every frame of the video. It will go slower, but you will be able to see all the text.

Thanks Edward. I'm not using Boris 3D text but whether title crawl falls under Boris then I can't be certain??

I'm using this path:

VIDEO GENERATOR - TEXT - SCROLLING TEXT

I've set it to Ariel around 22/25 pts depending on the text titles (and just off set the white, taken the opacity down).
It's possible that once on a TV monitor it will sort itself out...but I can't be certain.
I've given the titles an edge fade which suits this project very well but there's an apparant (albeit very slight) 'wobble' to the text as it crawls up the screen. Perhaps this is to be expected when viewed in the Canvas and on a computer monitor? Just wish I had more time to experiment with this before delivery.

Edward Carlson July 1st, 2007 08:38 AM

The wobble is probably because you don't have the canvas at 100%. When it gets scaled down sometimes the text does that. The edge fade is probably what is making it have to be rendered. You could probably just make all the titles and when they look good, add the fade at the end.

David Scattergood July 1st, 2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 705416)
The wobble is probably because you don't have the canvas at 100%. When it gets scaled down sometimes the text does that. The edge fade is probably what is making it have to be rendered. You could probably just make all the titles and when they look good, add the fade at the end.

Good tip - ahh the fade, its an effect of course. I'll omit this till I've completed the sequence (and resize the canvas).
Cheers Edward.

David Scattergood July 1st, 2007 08:43 AM

Just resized this much larger but I'm still getting an odd effect.
Hard to describe but when I've stopped the sequence mid run it looks almost as if there is a field missing (the footage and set up as 16:9 anamorphic 25p)?

Here's a snapshot:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...itlecredit.jpg

Edward Carlson July 1st, 2007 09:09 AM

Try viewing it on a TV monitor. It is probably due to the fact that computers don't show interlaced video. It should look ok on an interlaced monitor.

David Scattergood July 1st, 2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Carlson (Post 705429)
Try viewing it on a TV monitor. It is probably due to the fact that computers don't show interlaced video. It should look ok on an interlaced monitor.

I've got a feeling it might turn out ok on a monitor, and I'll export a quick copy to DVDSP to burn the title sequence.
The video is progressive though and I assumed the titles would be (being shown and generated on a computer).
Cheers Edward.

Pasquale Benedetto July 3rd, 2007 12:08 AM

Also check the seq settings - under the render control tab both frame rate and resolution should be set at 100%

David Scattergood July 3rd, 2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasquale Benedetto (Post 706266)
Also check the seq settings - under the render control tab both frame rate and resolution should be set at 100%

Cheers Pasquale - just checked and they are both set at 100%.