Title text polish and rendering....and rendering... at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Title text polish and rendering....and rendering...

Is it common for any slight alterations to your text/titles (speed/font adjustments etc) requiring immediate rendering? I've got a blinkin deadline approaching (tomorrow!) for 5 theatre performances all but complete.
The title sequence (crawling) at the end of the performances is putting up a little fight with me...I've used standard Font (Ariel in this case - FCP suggests using only sans serif fonts, although it includes hundreds of fonts within the program itself??).
From the many posts on this subject getting this spot on is fairly tricky. I've taken the opacity down to around 90 and off set the white slightly (white text on black background) and sized the font around 18pts (any larger would dominate the screen and I don't believe this would look good).
As the text is scrolling/crawling it appears to 'bounce/wobble' though I'm not sure if this is what is often referred to the shimmering?
So each time I play around with the text slightly I'm having to render (which can take a couple of minutes each time) - is this usual for text/motion (fixed text does not require constant renders)?

Cheers/
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
FCP suggests using only sans serif fonts, although it includes hundreds of fonts within the program itself??
FCP reads all the fonts in your fonts folder (/Library/Fonts and username/Library/Fonts.) San serif is recommended because the serifs sometimes are too thin to show up well.
What are you using to create the text? Are you using a regular text generator, or are you using Boris 3D text? Boris always needs a render, which is a pain. Push Option \ to play every frame of the video. It will go slower, but you will be able to see all the text.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:34 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
FCP reads all the fonts in your fonts folder (/Library/Fonts and username/Library/Fonts.) San serif is recommended because the serifs sometimes are too thin to show up well.
What are you using to create the text? Are you using a regular text generator, or are you using Boris 3D text? Boris always needs a render, which is a pain. Push Option \ to play every frame of the video. It will go slower, but you will be able to see all the text.
Thanks Edward. I'm not using Boris 3D text but whether title crawl falls under Boris then I can't be certain??

I'm using this path:

VIDEO GENERATOR - TEXT - SCROLLING TEXT

I've set it to Ariel around 22/25 pts depending on the text titles (and just off set the white, taken the opacity down).
It's possible that once on a TV monitor it will sort itself out...but I can't be certain.
I've given the titles an edge fade which suits this project very well but there's an apparant (albeit very slight) 'wobble' to the text as it crawls up the screen. Perhaps this is to be expected when viewed in the Canvas and on a computer monitor? Just wish I had more time to experiment with this before delivery.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
The wobble is probably because you don't have the canvas at 100%. When it gets scaled down sometimes the text does that. The edge fade is probably what is making it have to be rendered. You could probably just make all the titles and when they look good, add the fade at the end.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
The wobble is probably because you don't have the canvas at 100%. When it gets scaled down sometimes the text does that. The edge fade is probably what is making it have to be rendered. You could probably just make all the titles and when they look good, add the fade at the end.
Good tip - ahh the fade, its an effect of course. I'll omit this till I've completed the sequence (and resize the canvas).
Cheers Edward.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Just resized this much larger but I'm still getting an odd effect.
Hard to describe but when I've stopped the sequence mid run it looks almost as if there is a field missing (the footage and set up as 16:9 anamorphic 25p)?

Here's a snapshot:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...itlecredit.jpg
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North Hollywood, CA, United States
Posts: 790
Try viewing it on a TV monitor. It is probably due to the fact that computers don't show interlaced video. It should look ok on an interlaced monitor.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
Try viewing it on a TV monitor. It is probably due to the fact that computers don't show interlaced video. It should look ok on an interlaced monitor.
I've got a feeling it might turn out ok on a monitor, and I'll export a quick copy to DVDSP to burn the title sequence.
The video is progressive though and I assumed the titles would be (being shown and generated on a computer).
Cheers Edward.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sedona, AZ
Posts: 81
Also check the seq settings - under the render control tab both frame rate and resolution should be set at 100%
Pasquale Benedetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquale Benedetto View Post
Also check the seq settings - under the render control tab both frame rate and resolution should be set at 100%
Cheers Pasquale - just checked and they are both set at 100%.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network