DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple Store Typo.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/98092-apple-store-typo.html)

Neil Rostance July 3rd, 2007 07:01 AM

Apple Store Typo....

Apple Store UK just advertised a 1TB Desktop Hard-drive for £19.95 on their website......It must be a simple case of typing error. The price has now been changed back to £199.95 but it looks like a lot of people got in their before the mistake was rectified.

Including me...i bought two.

Apple still have to dispatch and sell the product at this price don't they? I have a product, reference number, and receipt.

Has anybody found this happening before?

Oh and a few of them have appeared on Ebay, not mine, but it looks like a lot of people made the most of it.

Do you think apple will ship the product?

Richard Alvarez July 3rd, 2007 07:32 AM

Don't know consumer law in the U.K., but no, they wouldn't have to honor that price in the U.S. (The law requiring that was changed in the early 90's)

(NOTE: I said NOT HAVE TO, but they might! Good luck.)

Boyd Ostroff July 3rd, 2007 07:48 AM

A few years ago there was something similar with the Sony FX1 being sold at the Apple Store for (IIRC) $1,000 less than it should have been. It was discussed a lot here and other places. Evidently some people actually got them before Apple caught the error.

David Scattergood July 3rd, 2007 07:53 AM

They'll probably put up a good fight not to honor them Neil...good luck....oh and if they do honor the price I'll buy one off you for twice the price :)

(btw - will reply to your mail shortly...mad busy!)

John Miller July 3rd, 2007 08:00 AM

According to the Sale Of Goods Act of England and Wales, a merchant is not required to sell an item at the marked price. Typically, the contract between the merchant and the customer is not made until money is exchanged. In a real shop, this gives the merchant an opportunity to detect the mistake, reach an agreement with the customer and conclude the sale.

On-line, there isn't a human element to the sale - if the price is incorrectly listed, it will be the price used at check-out. This is the point that the contract is made and, once charged, the merchant can't correct it later.

In short, if Apple's on-line store charged £19.95 for the hard drive, they are contractually bound to that price. If they try to cancel the order or bill you for the difference, contact the Trading Standards Authority and your local Citizens' Advice Bureau.

Neil Rostance July 3rd, 2007 08:09 AM

wow thank you

i really appreciate that advice!

And here i was thinking i was having a bad week!

I remember a few incidents like this in the past, HD Monitors going for £1.99, knocking a grand off the price.

only worry is i've not received a confirmation e-mail, which apple are usually well on the ball with. I think they might be planning their next move!

Thanks again

Neil

Richard Alvarez July 3rd, 2007 09:10 AM

Ah, no 'confirmation' email. Offer and Acceptance just are two elements of a contract. Typically, taking the money IS acceptance. But if the funds haven't transferred... ???

Again, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Boyd Ostroff July 3rd, 2007 12:13 PM

I realize it isn't quite the same thing, and it has nothing to do with consumer laws, but sometimes you can gain a little insight by turning the situation around. If something was selling for $19.99 but you mistakenly wrote a check for $199.99, what would you like the seller to do? Run to the bank and deposit your check or notify you that you made an error?

Neil Rostance July 3rd, 2007 01:11 PM

well the money has been deducted, so i'd treat that as a clear acceptance!!

And interesting perspective Boyd, i'll have all of this prepared if they try to cancel the order.

Thanks a lot for everyone's advice. And if there's ever another typo, i'm posting it on here first!

Boyd Ostroff July 3rd, 2007 01:44 PM

Here's the thing... honestly, you knew that was a typo when you ordered the item didn't you? Now if they decide to honor the sale I say "good for you." But if they don't (legal issues aside), I would personally be a little embarassed to make a big deal over my "right" to buy a $200 item for $20.

But I'll admit I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to this sort of thing...

Cole McDonald July 3rd, 2007 04:47 PM

I mirror Boyd's point of view. We all make mistakes, how would you like to be treated next time you make one? Karma is real no matter your religous standing.

John Miller July 3rd, 2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 706436)
Ah, no 'confirmation' email. Offer and Acceptance just are two elements of a contract. Typically, taking the money IS acceptance. But if the funds haven't transferred... ???

Again, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 provide specific protections for internet purchases (and others):

• The right to receive clear information about goods and services before deciding to buy;
• Confirmation of this information in writing;
• A cooling off period of seven working days in which the consumer can withdraw from the contract;
• Protection from credit card fraud.

The confirmation clause can include the final page on your web browser once the purchase is made. A follow-up email isn't required. I've gotten into the habit of printing the web page since I have not received follow-ups for a number of on-line purchases.

Chris Hurd July 3rd, 2007 08:55 PM

Consumer Protection Regulations do not apply in this case though. Nor should they. A typographical error is just that... an error... and a consumer need not be "protected" from a typo which errs against the vendor. Nor should the Trading Standards Authority or the local Citizens' Advice Bureau be expected to enforce the terms in such a clear case of a simple typographical error.

I have a serious problem with the opportunistic mentality that seeks to profit from this sort of thing... as Boyd says, imagine if the tables were turned, how would you feel then?

If there's ever another typo, please do NOT post it here first. That's a really bad vibe. I don't want my site used for such a contemptible action. I don't want my name associated with that kind of mindset. Thread closed.