DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Audio trouble in FCP6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/98243-audio-trouble-fcp6.html)

Henrik Reach July 5th, 2007 10:31 AM

Audio trouble in FCP6

Sorry for the non-specific title, I don't know exactly what to call it, so I'll describe..

Recently, in FCP6, my audio is acting up.. After anyhting from 0.5 to 10 seconds after I start playback, that playback start all over, on top of the original sound, so I get doubl audio, which is horribly annoying... Thing is, all the audio seems fine in Soundtrack Pro and the original clips etc, so this has to be something with FCP, but I have no clue what... Tried FCP Rescue, tried stereo-pair, mono-tracks etc.

When I disable one track, the problem dissapears however, but that's not exactly a fix pr.se..

Again, sorry for my lack of ability to describe this properly, and I'd be very grateful in anyone have any thoughts on what could have caused this.

Gene Crucean July 6th, 2007 07:43 AM

I have this same thing pop up every once in a while. Although if I disable an audio track it doesn't fix the issue. I have to drag the playhead to the start for it to fix the problem.

Just wanted to confirm :)

Hopefully 6.0.2 will fix it.

Gene Crucean July 6th, 2007 09:52 AM

Here is a quick example for the people who have not experienced this.

6.3mb H.264
http://www.oblivionfilms.com/movies/...ops_slowmo.mov

It sounded like that in the timeline and it obviously exported like that too. It sounds like Henrik has a slightly different problem because mine randomly does this and it's a problem with the channels. For eg. the right channel will play audio but the left will not. Then for no reason the left will pop on at a different point in the audio track so they aren't lined up.

Kaku Ito July 6th, 2007 10:48 AM

I haven't experienced audio problem in FCP6, yet, but in Soundtrack Pro 2.01, I could not make DecklinkHD (as video output) and MOTU Traveler (as audio output) at the same time, the application seems to have problem separately selecting audio and video with different selections. If the video device is not selected, the audio device selection works fine, then by selecting an video device (in my case DecklinkHD Extreme) will force it to set the audio to the video device. I think it was okay with Soundtrack Pro 2.0 (edit:2.0 did have the same problem) and for sure it was fine with Soundtrack Pro 1.xx.

Also, while having that issue with Soundtrack Pro 2.01, in FCP6, it lets me select the video and audio device independently with no problem. So, the issue that I'm having seems to be because of the bug in the Soundtrack Pro 2.01.

Gene Crucean July 6th, 2007 01:21 PM

It also seems to slow down one of the channels. I haven't done a test to see if it's actually slower or if it's just pitched down yet though.

Just an FYI.

Kaku Ito July 6th, 2007 02:11 PM

I checked on my problem and Soundtrack Pro 2.0 had the same problem on not being to be able to select video and audio device separately.

Henrik Reach July 6th, 2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean (Post 708044)
It also seems to slow down one of the channels. I haven't done a test to see if it's actually slower or if it's just pitched down yet though.

Just an FYI.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with a problem like this! I also got some pitch/slowdown-issues the other day, also in FCP, but that was only after I imported it from STP. :)
Still the same here though, but what baffles me the most it that is seems quite random. Sometimes there, sometimes not, somtimes it sorts itself out on the next clip etc, somtimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to get any closer to finding out what could be causing it..

Kaku Ito July 9th, 2007 08:39 AM

I checked with an audio interface manufacturer and they said the core audio seems to be buggy at this point.
The duplicate audio is coming out probably because multiple drivers gets selected somehow. apple must have already recognized this obvious problem and working on it I hope.

David Garvin July 9th, 2007 12:38 PM

I've had TONS of trouble with the new Soundtrack Pro including, but not limited to, the fact that all my audio plays back extremely slow if I even use the scrub tool once.

If I use the scrub tool, from that point on everything in the multitrack sequence plays back at something like 1/100th of the speed. Don't get me wrong, the playhead moves across the clips at regular speed, but what you hear is the very first microsecond of sound being stretched slowly across the whole clip. If I shut down the program and restart it, then everything plays back fine as long as I don't try to use the scrub tool again.

This is only one of many problems I've had. For my money, FCS2 was NOT ready to be released. The problems I've had are ridiculous IMO and so far the updates haven't helped.

Gene Crucean July 17th, 2007 12:28 PM

Man, this issue is a HUGE issue with me now. It just doesn't work properly anymore... ever.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Henrik Reach August 9th, 2007 01:21 AM

Still nothing on this?

Still very bad here, sometimes slow-mo sound, sometimes echo and sometimes no sound.

And then it all works some times too..
Terribly annoying, and right now more than that, as I have a DVD I was supposed to finish now, but the sound-problems follow the export from FCP, so I don't really know what to do..

Stewart Menelaws August 9th, 2007 02:07 AM

This worked for me....

Hi Henrick

After taking a project created in FCP4.6 into FCP6 - I noticed that - aswell as various audio clips changing their levels, part of the audio track was ghosting itself (can't think of another way to put it) onto another part of the timeline - after hunting around for the mysterious audio clip and finding nothing, I tried the following.

Highlighting the whole timeline (Apple A) I then went into the render menu and hit Render Only > followed by all the 3 lower audio options - also did the video options for playback and full.

It worked - audio sorted....

Hope this helps....

Stu
www.studioscotland.co.uk

Henrik Reach August 9th, 2007 03:03 AM

Thank you for your reply Stewart!

When you mention it, I do think the only files I have had problems with have been created in FCP 5, I don't think I've had thise happen in any of the recent projects I've made, maybe theres something there.

Anyway, I tried the rendering-tips, but it didn't kill the rather quick "echo" I get on some of my clips, and that's the main problem in this particular project. It's really strange, as the problem comes and goes with no pattern. I play the timeline; problem. Then play again, and it can be fine, with nothing else changed.

Eventually I managed to export a version with relatively litte (hopefully no) echo. But I can't seem to solve the problem, and trying over and over is a pretty bad solution when it's 2-hour sequence for DVD. :)

By the way, nice work on a lot of the clips on your site!

Gene Crucean August 9th, 2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

When you mention it, I do think the only files I have had problems with have been created in FCP 5,
Not for me. New, old, it definitely doesn't matter. I was just sitting with a client today reviewing some dailies and the audio was wack. I had no explanation.

Apple needs to get on this now!

Until then I'm going to test a fresh install and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm going back to 5.1.4. I'll post results in a bit when I get it up. 4AM here :(

fukem

Henrik Reach August 9th, 2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean (Post 726008)
Not for me. New, old, it definitely doesn't matter. I was just sitting with a client today reviewing some dailies and the audio was wack. I had no explanation.

Apple needs to get on this now!

Until then I'm going to test a fresh install and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'm going back to 5.1.4. I'll post results in a bit when I get it up. 4AM here :(

fukem

True, very much not only happening in old files converted up.
Started a new project, made a rough edit with no sound, sent it to soundtrack pro, and when I get it back, the channelse play in different pitch or something, at least far from sync.. I just don\'t get it, there has to be something seriously wrong with my machine/setup, because if it was like this for a lot of people, I bet we\'d here A LOT about it, it\'s crazy..