DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 7th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Apple TV for HDMI output to HD TV

I'm setting up an 8-Core MacPro for editing with Final Cut Studio 2 and was wondering if I could use an Apple TV to output to a 42" HDMI TV for clients to view finished the finished work (we are shooting in 1080/50i with XDCam).

thanks
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #2
Major Player

You could. Keep in mind that the maximum output on an Apple TV is 720p. If you have an extra DVI output on your Mac Pro, you could get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook it up right to your HDTV.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris, I didn't realize that DVI and HDMI were compatible enough only to necessitate a cable (live and learn).

Yesterday in an Apple store I was looking at an Apple TV box, and it seemed to indicate 1080/50i output? For some reason, however, Apply TV specs are not available on the apple.com site, so I can't seem to verify. I'm curious to know if anyone out there is playing out HD content form a Final Cup Pro timeline to a HDMI full HD TV either via a DVI?HDMI cable, via Apply TV.
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #4
New Boot

Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
If you have an extra DVI output on your Mac Pro, you could get a DVI to HDMI cable and hook it up right to your HDTV.
I also didn't know this. Thanks again for this tip. Just ordered a cable.
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima View Post
Thanks Chris, I didn't realize that DVI and HDMI were compatible enough only to necessitate a cable (live and learn).

Yesterday in an Apple store I was looking at an Apple TV box, and it seemed to indicate 1080/50i output? For some reason, however, Apply TV specs are not available on the apple.com site, so I can't seem to verify. I'm curious to know if anyone out there is playing out HD content form a Final Cup Pro timeline to a HDMI full HD TV either via a DVI?HDMI cable, via Apply TV.
It will output a 1080i signal to the display device. That's how mine is set up. However, the image is being scaled up (quite nicely I might add) from 1280x720 if the source is at 24fps, or, 960x540 if the source is 30P or 60i.

I suspect, but am not sure that for 50hz countries, it would do 25P at 1280x720, and 50i at the lower resolution.

I haven't tried setting the output to 720P for feeding the display. Might make for a better picture with less scaling involved.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

I know there are a few flavors of DVI out there connector-wise (very confusing). Does anyone know if it is possible for my aging 15" G4 Powerbook to be able to output 720p out of FCP6 into a display via HDMI, simply with a cable?

thanks,

Chas
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

...and discovering now that this will not pass audio into the HDMI cable, which makes things a bit complicated for my home theater interface, so I might be better off with a DVI to component video connection...also easy?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

To play HD video on a HDMI tv / monitor. You need a computer with DVI-D monitor output and a DVI to HDMI cable. I use a Mac Mini (DualCore) to drive all kinds of HD-ready screens. I compress my 1080p25 video's with the H264 or the HDV codec in QuickTime. To play the HD movies on PC's I compress with the WMV-9 codec from Popwire.com. The results are very good. We use these set-ups to play HD video's on exhibitions. To play the sound you need a cable from the sound-out port from your PC / Mac to the sound-in port of your HD tv. You can obtain these very easily in electronic stores. Before you make promises to clients. Check, try and recompress. Clients often have PC's with very weak video boards or analoge monitor output. They rent a HD screen and forget to ask for HDMI inputs. Or think a Windows 2000 PC will do the job... So, check, try and recompress until everything works fine. Enjoy!
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite