DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Can't convert MP4 to AIFF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/99049-cant-convert-mp4-aiff.html)

Paul J Carey July 16th, 2007 11:36 AM

Can't convert MP4 to AIFF

I am working on a project for a customer and they want a specific song for their video. I downloaded the song in iTunes. I'm aware of the current copyright protection laws. I also know there has been extensive debate on the issue of using copyrighted music in video. In most cases, I only use royalty free music. But in this case, I am doing this video free of charge so I don't feel I am out of bounds to use the music and it is something the client would really like.

Anywho, I would like to avoid that debate and get a few tips on how I can convert the music track to AIFF. Obviously, iTunes would be easiest but won't allow me to do it. I used to import the file into iMovie and then save as a quicktime file but that no longer works either. Whenever I try to import to iMovie I get an "unkown error". I have also heard you can burn the song onto a CDR and then re-import. I have tried that as well and it did not work. The rights protection was still attached.

Does anyone else know any other options? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Matt Stahley July 16th, 2007 11:40 AM

Did you burn the cd as an audio cd or just data? You need to burn as an audio cd then re-import it.

Paul J Carey July 16th, 2007 11:48 AM

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I dragged the song from my desktop to the folder, then hit burn. How do I designate to burn as audio or data?

Jim Fields July 16th, 2007 01:16 PM

try this, I use this and love it.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...6284&vid=59528

Paul J Carey July 16th, 2007 01:26 PM

Wow, this seems like a perfect solution. I read some of the comments. Any issues with ads popping up or programs crashing? I'm going to download it when I get home. Thanks!

Jim Fields July 16th, 2007 02:59 PM

For me it crashes when i am done, but I am on an Intel Mac and I dont think it is Universal yet. I have been using that program for years and swear by it.

Matt Stahley July 16th, 2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul J Carey (Post 712784)
Hmmm... I'm not sure. I dragged the song from my desktop to the folder, then hit burn. How do I designate to burn as audio or data?

Yes you would have created a file on the disc and not an audio cd.
you need to create a playlist in itunes and drag the song to it and burn for an audio cd that can be played in a cd player.

Paul J Carey July 16th, 2007 03:40 PM

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Victor Kellar July 16th, 2007 09:32 PM

I noticed that freeware aiff converter states it converts to 44 K ... is there a way to change that? That is not really a video compliant rate .. your audio rate in Final Cut, say, should match the audio of the video in your sequence ... either 32 or 48 K. I would imagine that that holds true for iMovie as well.

Gene Crucean July 17th, 2007 12:45 PM

Can't you just right click a file in iTunes and select... convert to aiff?

Preferences set what the default "convert to ***" is.

Klaas van Urk July 18th, 2007 04:26 AM

Victor, don't care about 44K, Final Cut accepts it, no problem. You won't hear any difference since you are converting an (usually) ill rotten MP3 or MP4.

David Scattergood July 18th, 2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene Crucean (Post 713363)
Can't you just right click a file in iTunes and select... convert to aiff?

Preferences set what the default "convert to ***" is.

That's how I convert my MP3's and AIFF etc.

David W. Jones July 18th, 2007 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul J Carey (Post 712776)
I am working on a project for a customer and they want a specific song for their video. I downloaded the song in iTunes. I'm aware of the current copyright protection laws. I also know there has been extensive debate on the issue of using copyrighted music in video. In most cases, I only use royalty free music. But in this case, I am doing this video free of charge so I don't feel I am out of bounds to use the music and it is something the client would really like.

Anywho, I would like to avoid that debate and get a few tips on how I can convert the music track to AIFF. Obviously, iTunes would be easiest but won't allow me to do it. I used to import the file into iMovie and then save as a quicktime file but that no longer works either. Whenever I try to import to iMovie I get an "unkown error". I have also heard you can burn the song onto a CDR and then re-import. I have tried that as well and it did not work. The rights protection was still attached.

Does anyone else know any other options? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I don't really care if you want to debate it or not,
Or could care less if you are getting paid for the project or not.

Stealing is Stealing!

And by posting that... "I'm aware of the current copyright protection laws"..
Tells me that you are well aware of what you are doing!

Maybe a $50,000 Fine will teach you a lesson!

Gene Crucean July 19th, 2007 06:57 AM

Are you serious? Relax captain RIAA.

Paul J Carey July 19th, 2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 713813)
I don't really care if you want to debate it or not,
Or could care less if you are getting paid for the project or not.

Stealing is Stealing!

And by posting that... "I'm aware of the current copyright protection laws"..
Tells me that you are well aware of what you are doing!

Maybe a $50,000 Fine will teach you a lesson!

OK David, since you insist: tell me what I am doing wrong and how I have "stolen" anything. I am doing a video as a favor for a friend. I am not charging nor using it as promotional material. I BOUGHT the song on iTunes and downloaded it legally. This is for a friend who wants to remember the first year of his child's life. It will only be used for private in-home use and will not be duplicated in any way. I am only making one copy of the video for my friend to watch at home with his wife. What am I doing that is illegal? Because I am a "professional" I cannot make a video for a friend? I am not "benefiting" from this video in any way and the artist is not out any money, since I bought the song and am not duplicating it. iTunes allows you to transfer your music to up to five machines. I just happen to be transferring to a media that also includes video. All of a sudden that is out of bounds? What if I made the video without sound and my buddy just played the song off his iTunes list while watching it? Does that make it legal? Everything I have researched leads me to believe I am fully within my rights.