DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   render issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/99216-render-issues.html)

Patricia Yurkinas July 18th, 2007 01:02 PM

render issues

Hi there

I just started working with FCP after a year off and am having to render ALL clips I put into the timeline in order to view them. These have a duration of only a few seconds with no effects added. EVERYTHING I put in the timeline needs rendering! This was never the case with previous projects.
Any idea why this is happening? Could it have anything to do with the fact I am now using a "professional" camera? an new external hard drive? These are the only variables that have changed since this problem started.

Thanks,

Patricia

Mark Bournes July 18th, 2007 01:07 PM

make sure your timeline settings match the video clips.

Boyd Ostroff July 18th, 2007 01:08 PM

Generally speaking, the only thing which can cause what you describe is a mismatch between your sequence/clip/capture settings. What camera are you using?

Start FCP and close all windows that are open until only the menu bar is showing. Now go to Easy Setup and choose the correct one for your camera. Now start a new project. This will ensure that all your clip/capture/sequence settings are the same. It won't change the settings of any existing clips or sequences, but all new settings will match. If you still need to render after this, then you chose the wrong Easy Setup.

If you tell us what kind of camera you have then we can probably point you to the correct easy setup if you're still having problems.

Patricia Yurkinas July 18th, 2007 01:24 PM

I am using a DVX100B. I looked at the Easy Setup, and it is currently on Custom Setup. Should I change that?

And is there a way I can tell if these setting match when I am working on a project? or will I not have to worry about it again after I change the Easy Setup once?

Finally, is there any way to change the project I am currently working on, or will changing the Easy Setup only help with future projects?

Thanks!

Boyd Ostroff July 18th, 2007 02:14 PM

You should just use the standard NTSC DV easy setup (unless you filmed in anamorphic widescreen, then use NTSC DV anamorphic). If it says custom then I suspect that's your problem, you accidentally changed something.

When you change Easy Setup it will use these settings for all your new sequences, clips and captures. No, it won't change anything which already exists.

Yes, you can fix the problems with existing sequences and clips, but first you will need to figure out what's wrong with them and then change the needed properties. Depending on what's wrong this might be either complicated or trivial.

But for starters, create a simple little project with the correct settings, import a short clip, drop it into a new sequence and see if that fixes your rendering problem.

Patricia Yurkinas July 18th, 2007 03:17 PM

Anamorphic was not listed under Easy Setup, so I changed it under sequence settings and sequence preset (it appears the program knew I had filmed in anamorphic, even though I didn't select it in capture preset, and made all my clips anamorphic) and now when I drop down the clips into the timeline, no rendering is necessary.

thanks for your help.

Do you know if capturing footage at 24f/s but still using a 60i timeline will cause similar rendering problem for me? or other things I should look out for?