Which HDV format to choose? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Which HDV format to choose when shooting/editing?

I'm starting out with video and just got a Canon HV-20. Computer is a MacBook Pro with iMovie HD. TV is a full HD Panasonic.

First two projects will be at an indoor swimming pool and a dance recital outside during the afternoon.

For the HV-20, I have the option of shooting 1080i or PF25. I think the swimming pool might be considered low-light. Would PF25 be the best for the indoor swimming pool?

Then, when creating a new project in iMovie I have the option of choosing 1080i or 720p.

So, what do I choose on the camera and what do I select when creating a new iMovie project? Explanations as to why would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I will be upgrading to FCE in the near future. FCS depending on how this hobby catches on. :)

Last edited by Charles Gerungan; July 21st, 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Charles,

the format that you choose to shoot in has nothing to do with the sensitivity of your camera. The sensitivity is fixed by the type of CCD. Another format doesn't change that.
I would prefer to shoot in 1080i since iMovie can handle that without rendering and you have the pleasure being the owner of a full HD TV.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey Klaas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas van Urk View Post
the format that you choose to shoot in has nothing to do with the sensitivity of your camera. The sensitivity is fixed by the type of CCD. Another format doesn't change that.
Then why are people writing about the low-light capabilities when using 24p? Or am I interpreting that incorrectly? (I'm new here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas van Urk View Post
I would prefer to shoot in 1080i since iMovie can handle that without rendering and you have the pleasure being the owner of a full HD TV.
Yeah, it's nice to be able to produce better quality footage than what's broadcasted on TV. :)
Charles Gerungan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Charles, many people want to make a movie - sometime. If you shoot in 24p (= 24 full frames a sec.) you can transfer to film without to much hassle. Moviemakers dream is a low-light videocamera that has all the capabilities of a real filmcamera at a fraction of the cost. Most people buy that videocamera and keep on dreaming.
In Europe we shoot in 1080p (progressive), 1080i (interlaced) or 720p (progressive). Stick to one of these standards. I prefer 1080p because you can do more with it in postproduction. If you shoot sport or high motion 1080i can be better. If iMovie can handle only 1080i50, stick with that, it is a good choice.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite