likely OT - Video and/or Audio in Email at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Major Player

likely OT - Video and/or Audio in Email

With SP2 for XP Microsoft disabled autoplay audio in email. I have an XP Pro (Media Centre) laptop that won't
accept SP2 and continues to play .mid files for example within Eudora, upon opening such an email message.
My desktop with SP2 will not. Is there any video or audio-only format that either on mouse over or automatically, plays reliably in an
email client, such as Eudora and Outlook? Not a link to an attachment or out to the web but right in the window you're looking at
right now, assuming you're at a PC or Mac versus a mobile device. To be useful, it would have to "just work", without add-in's or plug-in's the recipient would have to download and install.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #2
New Boot

David,

Its a little hard for me to understand what you're asking here, but I believe you're trying to have some audio play automatically in Outlook or some other email program when someone reads an email?

I don't think this has anything to do with your audio file format--its probably the security setup in the email client program.

By default Outlook will no long show any linked content (pics, video, music, etc) other than text without you explicity telling Outlook to download it. This is because everytime you download a file hackers/spammers can track you.

To disable that behavior in outlook:

Go to Tools>Options>Security>Change Automatic Download Settings

and uncheck "Don't download pictures or other content automatically in in HTML-email".

Obviously most users will not have this option checked in their outlook. Not to mention all of the web based email clients out there. I don't think there is a way to do what you want in a very reliable manner.

Hope that helps.
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

"I don't think there is a way to do what you want in a very reliable manner."

That's my opinion as well, Mike, but knowing how dangerous it is to say "can't be done" in a world as dynamic as the web I need to put the question out. I agree that security issues have created the existing situation, equally aware that folks have been trying work-arounds because the function is compelling for many communicators. There are tantilyzing promises of video-in-email when you search the string but the outcomes for me have so far been negative. I'm just not comfy giving up without a good walkabout. Nor do my clients expect me to do less than search thoroughly. That said, thank you for taking the time to reply.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video