DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Streaming of video from a server (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/109979-streaming-video-server.html)

Duane Steiner December 11th, 2007 11:12 AM

Streaming of video from a server

In the past I have used Flash videos to stream video. The problem I ran into was when the Flash video was on a shared server that was hosting the site, it caused problems as it put to heavy a load on the server's CPU. Was wondering if I used an embedded Quicktime video instead would that still put a load on the server?

Josh Chesarek December 11th, 2007 11:33 AM

I think they do, who was your shared web host? I did hosting with 1and1 and it worked out well until I moved to a dedicated server.

Duane Steiner December 11th, 2007 12:24 PM

I use GoDaddy. I did not have problems with my shared server hosting until I put up some HD quality/sized Flash videos. The shared server then became overloaded and I was told to take them down. What problems did you have with 1&1? My friend is thinking of using them.

Josh Chesarek December 11th, 2007 04:50 PM

I didn't have any problems really, I just finally got setup to where I can afford the montly bill of a dedicated server. Turns out most of my clients are OK with a montly bill for hosting their files so they dont have to deal with it or use youtube :) Only "problem" is common of all shared hosting which is its hard to customize things such as the version of ruby if you are trying to write some custom scripts.

Martin Pauly December 12th, 2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Steiner (Post 790767)
I use GoDaddy. I did not have problems with my shared server hosting until I put up some HD quality/sized Flash videos. The shared server then became overloaded and I was told to take them down.

Did you exceed your bandwidth quota, or how did they justify asking you to take down the videos?

Also, was this true streaming for just progressive download of videos?

Thanks,
Martin

Duane Steiner December 12th, 2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pauly (Post 791237)
Did you exceed your bandwidth quota, or how did they justify asking you to take down the videos?

Also, was this true streaming for just progressive download of videos?

Thanks,
Martin

What happened was my hosting was on a shared server, and the Flash videos (1280x720) put to much of a load on the server causing problems. I think it was a progressive downloading Flash video.

But then again it could have been to much bandwidth at one time. I had put up the videos and my bandwidth increased by about 10x once the web page started to get posted around the Internet.

Taky Cheung December 12th, 2007 11:53 PM

What's the data rate you picked when you encode the flash video? I tried 1mbps. The video looks good and streaming is smooth. However, data rate over 1mbps I am skeptical about it. A lot of people still using DSL on 384kbps bandwidth.

Mike Ripberger December 13th, 2007 02:20 PM

Duane,

It was most certainly a bandwidth issue. That is a MASSIVE amount of bandwidth you're taking up if many people are downloading those videos and a little Go-Daddy account does not afford you that.

Its not a CPU issue. The web server is simply opening up a file and giving it the user, a very trivial operation for it to perform.

Martin Pauly December 14th, 2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Ripberger (Post 791964)
It was most certainly a bandwidth issue. That is a MASSIVE amount of bandwidth you're taking up if many people are downloading those videos and a little Go-Daddy account does not afford you that.

That would make sense, but it should be crystal clear whether or not the allowed bandwidth was exceeded - they are just two numbers that one can compare, there is no ambiguity. To me though, Duane's posts sounded like it had been more of a judgement call ("...your site puts more load on our servers than we would like to see...").

Looking at GoDaddy's hosting plans, even the smallest hosting plan has 250GB of data transfer. That's a lot of downloads, even with large files.

- Martin

Dana Salsbury December 27th, 2007 01:25 AM

So GoDaddy is okay? I've used them for a year, but am starting to do a lot more with video, and am trying to put together a Flash Video Gallery w/ ActionScript 3.0. They're now making me pay more, and that's fine if they're not limiting me.

Brian Luce December 27th, 2007 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 798590)
So GoDaddy is okay? I've used them for a year, but am starting to do a lot more with video, and am trying to put together a Flash Video Gallery w/ ActionScript 3.0. They're now making me pay more, and that's fine if they're not limiting me.

I use 1 & 1 and it seems good so far. very cheap! Here's a flash video i put on it.
http://sorrentofilms.com/reel.html