Bad youtube results - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Youtube will leave it alone and won't recompress since that's the codec they use for conversion anyway.
They are migrating to H.264. That's how the AppleTV can view YouTube videos. I would suggest giving H.264 encoding a try since it's higher quality/file size than many others.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

You're right. I just uploaded another short using H.264 codec and the results were better than mpeg4. Not perfectly clear, but a marked difference. Thanks to all for the advice.
Doug Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Rose View Post
Thanks for the feedback Ben. What shotgun do you like? We almost always try to lav, but sometimes you just have to run and gun. Since this is typical of what we're doing following this project, I would consider getting a higher quality shotgun, so what do you suggest? BTW, your you tube stuff looks great, so I must be doing something very wrong. Need to get that resolved at some point.
The Sennheiser MKH418S with a shock mount is worth the money, short of a lav mic on your subject it's about the next best thing.

Thanks about the YouTube stuff, I think I'm using H.264 as well and am happy with the results.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Thanks Ben, I obviously do need a mic that is more focused based on the environment I most shoot in. what shock mount did you choose?
Doug Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks Ben, I obviously do need a mic that is more focused based on the environment I most shoot in. what shock mount did you choose?
Actually I use the one that came with my Rode mic, the SM3 shockmount. I don't use the shockmount on the camera.
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #21
Major Player

One simple trick to almost double the quality of your youtube videos is to drop the frame rate by half.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Major Player

I think the handheld really knocks a bit out more than anything else. Some of my students' work is uploaded to youtube and I instructed them never to move the camera. It was uploaded at 640*480 XviD MP3 audio through FFmpegX.

www.youtube.com/portsmouthonscreen

I uploaded some home vids of my duaghter using the same compression scheme and it looked noticably blockier. Nothing I've ever shot handheld has ever looked any good on Youtube.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Major Player

Try another site instead of youtube.. Also flash output. :-)
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
You're right. I just uploaded another short using H.264 codec and the results were better than mpeg4. Not perfectly clear, but a marked difference. Thanks to all for the advice.
Hi, you mean they accept .mov file now?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video