DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   What to expect from hosting... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/120126-what-expect-hosting.html)

Jim Cancil April 23rd, 2008 03:37 PM

What to expect from hosting...

I got the new Canon Vixia HF ... and the assumption is; 'This cam and 30cents makes me a HD Videoagrapher.' Let's say, I shoot at max size/max speed.. Am I going to be able to post all this fabulous footage for my mates to see, or will this be like driving a Ferrari at rush hour in Los Angeles?

Thanks.

jim

Robert Lane April 23rd, 2008 03:50 PM

Jim,

Since this post has nothing to do with editing on Mac, have the moderator move this thread to "DVD and Web Video Delivery" topic forum where you can get more appropriate discussion on your question.

Travis Cossel April 23rd, 2008 04:24 PM

Check out Vimeo.com. I've seen quite a bit of HD footage over there now, and it looks pretty good.

Ervin Farkas April 24th, 2008 05:33 AM

Maybe not in rush our LA but on the interstate observing speed limits... the Ferrari could easily do 150 MPH, right? But on the interstate it would have to slow down to about 50% of that. Same with your video, with current bandwidth limits you might be able to go about 50% image sizes and if you get up to speed (pun intended) with encoding, you might be able to post decent video at ~1Mbps with a really good provider, intended for really high speed internet users (cable). Everything above that has to be download.

It's a shame internet providers here in the US keep us in the dark ages - Japan has internet download speeds in excess of 25 Mbps.

Oh, and one more thing: do yourself a favor and forget all the free providers if you care about quality and long term stability - on the free ones you can only control the quality so much, and they can yank your video any time.

Jim Cancil April 24th, 2008 05:41 AM

Thanks Robert - I didn't notice such. Being a Macuser, I thought it might be another Mac-specific issue. Cheers.

j i m

(psssst ...thanks guys)

J. Stephen McDonald April 25th, 2008 08:35 PM

Downloading by Others from Video-Hosting Websites

I'm looking for comments about the ease and effectiveness of the various video-hosting websites, for allowing other people to download your videos from them. I want to have a service that will pass on my short videos, so they can be posted on other websites, with my approval. This might include HD, but would mainly be highly-compressed SD clips, from 30 seconds to 2 minutes in length. Most of them would be from 20 MB to 150 MB in size, so attaching them to E-Mail isn't possible. I've been using the SkyDrive feature from my MSN ISP, but will be dropping that service in a month, now that I've got a broadband connection. It gives 5 GB of capacity for online downloading and has no file-size limit. If only my broadband ISP had the same feature. It provides only a 1 GB webpage with an 8 MB file-size limit. I'd be better off paying for a $9. a month Yahoo webpage, if none of the video-hosting services work out for my purposes.

http://cid-229807ce52dd4fe0.skydrive...spx/Video?uc=2

Eric Larson April 25th, 2008 09:49 PM

Just use Amazon S3, it is about 15 cents a gigabyte and you pay for exactly what you use. Great download speeds, and the option to make videos private.

J. Stephen McDonald April 26th, 2008 02:17 AM

Thanks, Eric, I'll check out S3. I wonder what happened to the plans that were described 6 years ago on this forum, to have a video-hosting feature here?

Chris Hurd April 28th, 2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald (Post 867823)
I wonder what happened to the plans that were described 6 years ago on this forum, to have a video-hosting feature here?

Still in the works... stay tuned... six years ago the technology wasn't there for what I had in mind at the time. Now it is, and it'll add a whole new dimension of value and usability to DV Info Net members.

J. Stephen McDonald April 29th, 2008 03:31 AM

Very Good News

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 869230)
Still in the works... stay tuned... six years ago the technology wasn't there for what I had in mind at the time. Now it is, and it'll add a whole new dimension of value and usability to DV Info Net members.

It will be something to anticipate and would certainly add to the ability we have to demonstrate what we're doing with video. I'm sure you realize that it would change the forum in some ways and attract an additional bunch of visitors and participants. Your job as a host and overall moderator would not become any easier or less time-consuming.

Chris Hurd April 29th, 2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald (Post 869281)
Your job as a host and overall moderator would not become any easier or less time-consuming.

Thanks, Stephen, I was hoping someone would step up to the plate. Your offer to join our team of volunteer forum moderators is warmly accepted!