Best Format for Web Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 6th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #16
Major Player

Indeed it can be. But if you use a good encoder say a free one like FFMPEG and you have a multi core CPU they can all be used and it will keep time with FLV. FLV is single threaded only, at least on2vp6. The other great thing is that you can normally lower the bitrate on the h.264 which speeds things up but keep the same quality. I am also hoping Adobe will put out an update that allows the flash player to utilize video cards when not in full screen. As of right now Full screen video that is in h.264 can utilize the video card if there is one to do all the heavy lifting.
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Mellicker View Post
To revive this topic, FlowPlayer just updated their player so that you can encode a high quality H.264 movie for people with a recent Flash plugin (upgraded since December 2007), but yet falls back to an old-school FLV for people who have not upgraded their plugin.

To me, this is the best of both worlds- a great quality H.264 movie for the hip and savvy, but still a FLV fallback so that Grandma can still view the video on her 5 year old PC (on which she has never upgraded anything).

FlowPlayer offers a free GPL player with a watermark, or various licenses.

Here is the relevant page:

Flowplayer

Our new encoding program, DV Kitchen, will encode FLV and H.264 movies and upload them, and we will support this smart dual movie scheme with FlowPlayer soon, but for now you have to copy and paste a few URLs from the Media Publishing tab.

I am going to do a tutorial movie on this next week.
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to run this software. Extracted it and just got a bunch of files.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #18
DV Creators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
Glad to see they started supporting fall back finally :) It has been very useful but After seeing the majority of my viewers reporting 9.0.115 or greater I just switched all to Mp4. I display a nice link for them to upgrade if neeeded.
It's easy for us too, 100% of our Mac viewers have QT, and our Windows users, being video producers, pretty much 99% have QT, so we can just post Quicktime movies.

Each website has different visitors and needs a different evaluation. For a website for retired folks, I would go with Flash 7 for the widest viewer compatibility.
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #19
DV Creators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to run this software. Extracted it and just got a bunch of files.
The files need to be uploaded to your server, then you can look in the example .html files and replace the movie name reference with the path to your own movie.

I will do a movie on this soon!
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Mellicker View Post
The files need to be uploaded to your server, then you can look in the example .html files and replace the movie name reference with the path to your own movie.

I will do a movie on this soon!
I'd need an additional 60 IQ points to be able to do that.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video