What Video settings should I use for Vimeo or Youtube? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old July 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
New Boot

What Video settings should I use for Vimeo or Youtube?

Whats the best qaulity I can get with a GL2 without HD but using the HD format on Vimeo. Also what should I save the file format as? If I do avi it puts me over my 500meg limit.
Jim Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Im new to vegas myself and editing in general. But i do make youtube videos.
I save mine as WMV and im getting pretty high quality, I always save my videos in vegas as " best ".

Im no expert as i said, but i do happen to use youtube for videos.
Matthew Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Major Player

use mpeg4, 500x375, 2-3 mbs for bit rate, should do it thats what I use for internet, you could try bit rate at 1 mb but you might not be happy
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stern View Post
Whats the best qaulity I can get with a GL2 without HD but using the HD format on Vimeo. Also what should I save the file format as? If I do avi it puts me over my 500meg limit.
This video was shot on GL2s, edited on a 16x9 SD timeline with all media shot using 4x3 in camera and cropped to 16x9 in Vegas. Then encoded using WMV but with a 873x480 pixel frame size with PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 1.0 using the 3Mbps preset with audio at 128Kbps (don't know if Vimeo messed with the audio ... doesn't quite sound the same as the 20MB wmv file).

Not that I have it all figured out either. In order to get YouTube version I have to put the 16x9 timeline on a 4x3 project (nested veg) and then render a 320x240 with PAR at 1.0 again.

Last edited by Jason Robinson; July 12th, 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: additional info
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
You would have to shoot using 4x3 in camera, crop to 16x9 in Vegas, then render out the avi and use some upresing software to create 720p footage. I have not ever tried that, but I was thinking the same thing myself.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The qaulity on that wedding video is so amazing. That is the qaulity that i dream of having some day. I assume these are filmed using high end pro camcorders?.
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ewing View Post
The qaulity on that wedding video is so amazing. That is the qaulity that i dream of having some day. I assume these are filmed using high end pro camcorders?.
which video? Mine? That video was shot on Canon GL2 cameras (3 of them) and edited in Vegas with no additional plugins etc. :-) But I have shot 15 weddings in the last 5 years and I now do this full time, so I'm getting lots and lots of practice. It doesn't hurt that there is a lot of pressure to get things right the first time because there is only one take.

If you weren't talking about my video, than which one? I also like to view samples. Gets me pumped up for the next wedding and ready to try some new shots (and stop screwing up in the same places).
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
which video? Mine? That video was shot on Canon GL2 cameras (3 of them) and edited in Vegas with no additional plugins etc. :-) But I have shot 15 weddings in the last 5 years and I now do this full time, so I'm getting lots and lots of practice. It doesn't hurt that there is a lot of pressure to get things right the first time because there is only one take.

If you weren't talking about my video, than which one? I also like to view samples. Gets me pumped up for the next wedding and ready to try some new shots (and stop screwing up in the same places).
I forgot to add, I used the Canon .75x WD-58 lens and a Raynox .3 fish eye. THe raynox is a real tricky bugger. Believe it or not, even that lens with nearly infinite DOF can get out of focus shots if the cam is on MF. Check your settings first!
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post

Yes your video. The picture is amazing. You have alot of talent.
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

I think I got these specs from someone on this board, in regards to how to encode for youtube. Youtube might also have some explicit instructions on the site somewhere:

MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
320x240 resolution
MP3 audio
30 frames per second
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ewing View Post
Yes your video. The picture is amazing. You have alot of talent.
Thanks! In all fairness that is pretty much the best thing I've done to date (and I've yet to edit the 4 weddings I've shot since then). The previous productions..... not so much. I still struggled with a "color theme." By that I mean everything is color corrected true to life, but the picture doesn't have a visual style (as a certain director is famous for saying). Look up Jason M. or Patrick Moreau. They have practically perfected the art of applying a visual style to their productions.

But that is what learning is all about. And like I said, shot with GL2s, on a pretty low end tripod ($180 or so.... at least my cam was, the other two were on higher end tripods). It all comes down to practice. I'm still pretty new to this, with most of my practice coming in the last 2 years.
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
For the HD format on Vimeo, I have pretty decent results with export setting to WMV 1280x720 with 1.0 PAR with 2-pass unconstrained VBR @ 5200 Kbps. After conversion by Vimeo it looks like this: http://www.vimeo.com/1122531

This was HD footage, so it may not apply to your SD footage. I find the YouTube quality far less than Vimeo.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Major Player

thought it was fantastico! sent link over to my friend who shoots with a Z1,
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #14
Trustee

If you do like it, please sign up on Vimeo and after registration, give my clip a LIKE by pressing once on the heart icon in the top right corner of the screen.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Major Player

already a member, yes I will go do that
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video