Small "screen", high quality web compression - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old August 6th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #16
Major Player

Shortly after starting this thread I went into WME9 to experiment. I used a 2-pass setting but don't recall if it was CBR or VBR. I was able to produce a 1.22 MB per minute file, 160 X 120, 15fps at a combined data rate of 282 kbps. The result could use more keyframes and I'm wondering what the balance should be between keyframe interval and the video bit budget. I'll try to answer that for myself with another test or two. I'll also try the settings on good DV source versus the 40 year old marching band consumer film footage converted (badly) to VHS, digitized on import. It would be hard to find more challenging material for compression.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #17
New Boot

Jake,

Compression with that Sorenson Squeeze is amazing...the biggest .swf I've produced (in filesize terms) from my test clip is 11mb, compared to the 32MB that FlixSE produced...and the quality looks to be much better with Sorenson...

hmmm... either I'm completely stuffing up my settings when using FlixSE (very likely) or I'm missing something somewhere!

Methinks I'll have to do more tests at home...assuming I can get a working download of QuickTime which doesn't insist on stoating off to the web for a massive download...my only 'net connection at home is a 9.6kbps GSM modem, believe it or not.

Off to do more investigation...great recommend, Jake, much obliged!
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hey no probs. Once you play with it it's really hard to understand why everyone doesn't use the Sorenson stuff. For once a software that backed up the sales pitch huh... You really can tweak it how you want so if the presets aren't just how you like them, change it and save the modified version.

You just can't argue with the filesize or quality really and I only ever go from a DV input movie(Usually a FCPro one). I think the first couple of times I used it I re-encoded several times thinking that the size must be a mistake :-)

Glad it's looking good,

Jake
Jake Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 06:26 AM   #19
New Boot

Jake,

Well I bought Squeeze! Not the whole suite (bit too steep for me at nearly $450) but after my tests I went for Sorenson Squeeze 3.5 for Macromedia Flash MX, which was within my modest budget.

I can't believe the output for the filesize, really. I thought FlixSE was mustard when it came to producing .swf for web delivery, but I haven't been able to configure Flix to get the same compression as Sorenson with such good quality output.

Many thanks for pointing me to this tool... worth every shekel in m'humble opinion!

Best Regards,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video