Tools for building Web site w/Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Trustee

Tools for building Web site w/Video

I've been scratching my head for nearly a year now looking for a basic tool that will help me build a Web site. Years ago I used Front Page and hated it so much that I learned some HTML and wrote most everything else in notepad, but I don't have time of brain cells enough to re-learn this.

I've used Dreamweaver, which is great but not worth the money for what little I need. I don't want templates or some generic site generator. I'd like a WYSIWYG layout program that generates HTML that I can massage as desired.

Any suggestions?
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use Joomla for my site that has video. Works great for me.
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the info. I just spent the last half hour reviewing the installation procedures and prerequisites. It's making my brain hurt. Clearly this is not for the feint of heart.

I'm going to review the documentation again tomorrow when I'm fresh but I feel this may be more complex than I'm looking for. I just want to ride the train. Not build the railroad.

I'm gonna dig thru this until my head explodes. In the event that pyrotechnics ensue, does anyone have any other ideas?
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

PC or Mac?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Major Player

I use a Mac, so my opinion may not be much help, but on a Mac, I think Rapidweaver
is a really good option. Get the third party Flash plug in to create Flash movies so you
can have either quicktime or flash on your site. I totally created my own site with
Rapidweaver and I'm NOT a web programmer (disclaimer....my site is still being updated so
it's not totally done but you can get a good idea of what you can do by looking at my
site). Anyways, Rapidweaver is simple to use......BlocksBox plug in pretty much lets
you drag and drop stuff on a page wherever you want it....good simple stuff.

www.gforcevideo.com
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm on a PC.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I've been scratching my head for nearly a year now looking for a basic tool that will help me build a Web site. Years ago I used Front Page and hated it so much that I learned some HTML and wrote most everything else in notepad, but I don't have time of brain cells enough to re-learn this.

I've used Dreamweaver, which is great but not worth the money for what little I need. I don't want templates or some generic site generator. I'd like a WYSIWYG layout program that generates HTML that I can massage as desired.

Any suggestions?
Well, I have been using "webpagemaker" in the past which was a great tool for building static websites with drag and drop, really easy to use though not so video friendly, think you could embed flash movies but that was about it, maybe they changed now.

After that jumped to wordpress, wordpress displays just about every type of video and even if your not a big template fan, there are many to choose from and they are all adaptable if you have soms php and css knowledge.

I did quite some tweaking on my site and because I'm actually a website novice I"m quite proud I did it all by myself and with the help of the good support you get on several wordpress forums.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Trustee

Noa... Thanks. That looks a bit more like what I'm looking for. I've downloaded both products and will check them out on my other machine.
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

After tearing my hair out with Apple's iWeb I now use Rapidweaver. This is what I came up with:

Ben Ruffell
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM   #10
DV Creators

I would highly recommend Wordpress. We have built about 7 or 8 sites with it, including DVcreators.net. Click around and check out the speed and functionality, even with a thousand other viewers clicking around at the same time.

It will do anything any other web framework does, and much better, much faster, and much easier. Plugins and themes number in the hundreds and are mostly free.

It is a one-click install option at most web hosts (like DreamHost or HostGator, etc.)

I have tried many other CMSes... and my opinion is none of them even come close.

You can also get a free site at wordpress.com, but you don't have all the power over the site (ability to add any plugin, theme, etc.) you would have if you had your own hosting account.
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Trustee

Josh... Your recommendation of WordPress caused me to go back and look at it again. I found myself staring into the abyss with my mouth open, catching flies. A CMS may be just what I need or more than I can use. Not sure at this point. All I know is that I can't get there from here.

All I need at the moment is something to lay out Web pages. A short-bus version of Dreamweaver. I mean a really simple version. I don't need databases. I don't need e-commerce. I don't need blogs.

I just need a way to lay out and manage a half-dozen pages that I won't change very often. Just a really big Yellow Pages advert with better color.

Help me... please! (Beg, grovel, beg, grovel)
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #12
DV Creators

Weeelll... I still stand by my recommendation.

Here is a very simple site:

Overview at Leaping Brain Labs, Inc.

with 7 or 8 pages... no blogs, nothing fancy. This site took about 15 minutes to set up.

It is a default theme. (I am going to tweak it a bit later...)

If I need to edit a page, let's say to correct a mispelling, I can complete this in about 10 - 15 seconds. With Dreamweaver it would take several minutes or longer.

There are many tutorials on the web on setting it up, it is easy... who do you host with?

Another question- would a free account at wordpress.com (or blogger, etc.) be all you need?
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I'm a real numb skull with software and this is the only sitebuilder I've ever been able to use.

WYSIWYG Web Builder

It's a html generator. Easy.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Mellicker View Post
Weeelll... I still stand by my recommendation.
A man of conviction. I like that.

Speed of update is enticing and may alone be worth putting on my wellies and wading deep into the technical morass that I will only half understand.

I'll have to wait until I get through a couple more cups of coffee though. It's still way to early to really start thinking yet.

Here's my site. Covered Bridge Productions-Home Mind numbingly simple. I'd like to add to it a little, but not much.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Major Player

I'll back up Josh, and suggest Wordpress. I use it for two sites, both under the same hosting account. I found a theme I liked (Cutline) got it set up added some plug-ins some very , very minor tweaking, and mine run as a blog (not updated often enough) but the beauty is once you set it up all the layout is done, you only need to worry about content and that is a snap.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video