Is there a simple, clear resource to learn web video options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Is there a simple, clear resource to learn web video options?

I'm overwhelmed with all these options. They are giving me a headache.
Can anyone recommend a simple, clear, concise, easy fast read that explains the options, what they mean, when to do them, and step by step how to do them, and stays updated?
I've got to export a web video today for my client's website and possibly for YouTube.
I'm working with the Final Cut Pro HD options and also have compressor. Don't have money for other software at this time.
It's probably here somewhere, I'll search more, but I have to leave and so am in sort of a crunch.
Thanks
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like you have the tools to export into the flash format which is probably your best bet for web video.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks to Christopher Onstott for posting this link in another thread:
Moving Video to the Web | B&H Photo Video Pro Audio
This helped a lot to give me a starting context.

I'm still researching how to export to Flash (FLV?). I have Final Cut Studio HD and don't see those setting options in Compressor.

Regarding the H264, here's what I've been doing:
I have two videos - one is a half hour video for a tutorial on a website, the other is a three minute video. Both need to be accessible to a general audience while still being good quality.
From FCP I encoded through QT Conversion, H264, frame rate 30, size 480x360, audio format IMA 4:1, rate 22.05, stereo, data rate automatic, check letterbox when necessary and also deinterlace source video.
I pieced this together from different tutorials. Are these the best settings?

I'll get back now to figuring out how to export it to FLV.

Also, my web guy - who is also learning about how to prepare web video - wanted AVI. Is that a decent option? I had some trouble exporting to it.

EDIT - changed my audio settings to 44.1 and compression: none. Seemed like it sounded tinny on the other setting.

Last edited by Kell Smith; September 27th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Former Member #56430

Hi Kell.

Can I recommend you get hold of these two books -

Flash Video for Professionals: Expert Techniques for Integrating Video on the Web - Lisa Larson.

Hands-On Guide to Flash Video: Web Video and Flash Media Server - Stefan Richter.

These are two of the first books to be give in depth coverage to web video and they are written by industry experts.

I have read them both and found them to be a great help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video