DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Vimeo, You Tube which one? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/136092-vimeo-you-tube-one.html)

Robert M Wright October 21st, 2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 951462)
Hi Bob, you'll be able to do that right here at DV Info Net pretty soon. As I've mentioned before, we're in the process of setting up a video hosting platform with encoding quality that will rival the best video hosting sites elsewhere on the web. It'll accommodate the needs you describe above perfectly, and of course, it'll be completely free to all DV Info Net members. When it's ready to launch, you'll be seeing a lot of buzz about it here... so stay tuned.

Will we have any option(s) to do our own compression, rather than having it done "for" us?

I would really rather know what the parameters are for creating compliant files, and do the compression myself (let my computer crank for hours/days on end to make compression as efficient as possible, quality/size wise, instead of a quickie compression done on a server). I'd also like to take advantage of tricks like using non-square pixels (anamorphic video) to improve quality for a given file size (which often is very efficient for low bitrate stuff). I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the quality/detail of HD video on Vimeo, while currently being among the best on the web, usually isn't really any better than a very well encoded SD video could be at the same (or even lower) bitrate.

Ideally, I would like to be able to upload videos, using H264 compression at any PAR (like 960x720, for 720p material), and AAC audio, in an MP4 container, without the video then being re-compressed on the server.

Can you give us an idea of what kind of time frame we are looking at for this to become available?

Ali Jafri October 26th, 2008 08:22 AM

Comparison of video services

People, here's a web link to Wikipedia's comparison of video services, might find it useful.

Comparison of video services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil Kay October 27th, 2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 953656)
I just tried to get the paid version of vimeo, not available in UK yet though.

Paul.

I was 'gifted' plus by a guy called Mark for $75 - very fast and very honest. Well worth the extra $15(£8 UK) and I've been told plus won't be available outside US until Christmas.......

Kim Ramsay October 28th, 2008 05:44 AM

I'd also highly recommend Vimeo - their video quality is very good.
I'm based in Australia, so unfortunately I'm still waiting for Plus to be
released here.

Kev O'Brien October 28th, 2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Kay (Post 956245)
I was 'gifted' plus by a guy called Mark for $75 - very fast and very honest. Well worth the extra $15(£8 UK) and I've been told plus won't be available outside US until Christmas.......

me too

he can afford to be honest, he's making a killing but good on him for spotting a market like that

Phil Kay October 29th, 2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev O'Brien (Post 956796)
me too

he can afford to be honest, he's making a killing but good on him for spotting a market like that

Absolutely right, good for him!

Jeff Dillon November 19th, 2008 11:23 PM

Any news on Video Hosting at dvinfo.net? Is it ready yet?

Jeff

Gints Klimanis November 21st, 2008 08:30 PM

Does anyone know to what bitrate Vimeo recompresses their video? Their guide suggests H.264 at 3 MBits/second. I've uploaded H.264 files with rates as high as 7 MBits/second, but there seems to be recompression.

Wes Coughlin December 7th, 2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 967226)
Does anyone know to what bitrate Vimeo recompresses their video? Their guide suggests H.264 at 3 MBits/second. I've uploaded H.264 files with rates as high as 7 MBits/second, but there seems to be recompression.

Vimeo re-encodes its HD videos with the VP6 codec (flv) at around 1-3 mbps. So they are probably using a VBR of 1.5-2 mbps.

Take a look to see the HD comparisons of Vimeo vs. YouTube at: YouTube Is The New Vimeo | Vidlivery

Kyle Prohaska December 7th, 2008 11:03 PM

Youtube just released 720p capability...looks better than anyone now IMO.

YouTube - Where the Hell is Matt? (2008)

Karel Bata December 11th, 2008 02:35 AM

Hi folks!

I've made a page comparing the embedding capabilities available from various video hosts:
Video Embedding Tests

I've not included HD because most people are unable (yet) to view HD in real time (or even not at all), these services are in their infancy, and till it settles down most video creatives will expect to deliver content in SD. Or maybe you guys will disagree?

I'm still improving the site, so any suggestions gratefully received. I hope some of you find it useful, and if so, pass it on!

Cheers!

p.s. Someone has posted elsewhere "if you upload an flv to blip, it will not re-encode the file". I'll be trying that out soon.

Pavel Tomanec December 24th, 2008 01:15 PM

Great idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 951462)
Hi Bob, you'll be able to do that right here at DV Info Net pretty soon. As I've mentioned before, we're in the process of setting up a video hosting platform with encoding quality that will rival the best video hosting sites elsewhere on the web. It'll accommodate the needs you describe above perfectly, and of course, it'll be completely free to all DV Info Net members. When it's ready to launch, you'll be seeing a lot of buzz about it here... so stay tuned.

This is wonderful news. I look forward to it.

Happy Christmas and best of luck in 2009.

Regards,
Pavel