Any suggestions how to stream this please? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old November 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Keep us posted ;-)
Absolutely! I still want to see it.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #32
Major Player

The first part of the film is finished. It went up an hour ago. You can see it here if you wish:

Blue Water

The second part will follow at the end of the week.

It's been a wild ride in the last month. My hard disk started to fail just as I was about to start a final and major edit of the film. That was two Mondays before Christmas. I thought I was going to lose the film at one point. The computer was working by Boxing Day so Christmas and New Year and the cottage I'd booked in Scotland were cancelled. I worked through the night last Wednesday to finish the film and then began to upload. 65 hours later I finally succeeded at 01.00 today.
Yachting World magazine wrote a very nice review of the film based on a rough cut. The magazine hit the bookstalls on Thursday. They will be linking to the film today from their website and the editor's blog. It will be interesting to see how many of their 50,000 readers watch the film.
I gave up trying to make any money out of it. Perhaps later. I hope it will raise money for charity.
It's been an interesting learning exercise!
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #33
Trustee

Richard, Fantastic work! I started off listening to the story whilst looking at your techniques, but listening to James tell his story swept me up into the story. Nicely done.

As a former can and offshore racer and someone who spent several years preparing my boat for long-distance cruising (although never actually getting to go), you've definitely gotten the story right. I particularly identified with the woman when she voiced her trepidation about the journey as she piloted her craft out of port. I had that same feeling of excitement and apprehension after crossing the start line of my first offshore race. It didn't fully leave me until the anchor was down at the finish. Long story there for another time.

You might want to contact some of the US-based sailing sites like Sailing Anarchy, Lats and Atts, Lattitude 38 and others if you're interested in getting a larger audience. I'm sure that many would truly enjoy seeing your film. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll get you the links.

Having shot aboard a sailing vessel, I know the challenges presented and you've done a stunning job of it. Truly, there are a finite number of major plot directions an ocean voyage story can take. Storms, running out of water or food, boredom in the doldrums and the like. It's the smaller, more personal ones that make the story intriguing... at least for me.

I've been looking forward to seeing this since I first ran across your posts. It was worth the wait. Simply brilliant.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I particularly identified with the woman when she voiced her trepidation about the journey as she piloted her craft out of port. I had that same feeling of excitement and apprehension after crossing the start line of my first offshore race. It didn't fully leave me until the anchor was down at the finish.
Hi Tripp
Many thanks for your kind words. That means a lot to me.

Someone, I can't remember who, said that a person who is not afraid to go to sea is a dangerous person to have on board. I think that we all feel the same. Maybe that's why we have an imagination - to help us visualise what can go wrong and hopefully work out a way to avoid that or to fix it quickly if it does!

Yes please, I would love to have those urls. Perhaps a message rather than a posting as it's not exactly DV info territory. Whatever you think is most appropriate.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video