DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Streaming Live Video Tonight. Help us test! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/137252-streaming-live-video-tonight-help-us-test.html)

Josh Chesarek November 5th, 2008 04:13 PM

Streaming Live Video Tonight. Help us test!

Hi guys.

As you may know I do a lot of online video work. Usually my live sporting events are handled through a CDN utilizing Windows Media. Tonight however we are going to be testing Red 5 on a modest dedicated server. We will be broadcasting a exhibition game for Rollins College women's basketball.

We estimate the server can handle about 200 people watching.

The game is @ 7PM tonight EST.

video will be posted on this page once it is live: Simple Thought Productions Blog Archive Streaming Red

Giroud Francois November 5th, 2008 04:39 PM

well with 200 people on a 100Mbit connection, math is pretty simple.
knowing you will never reach more than 80% of the 100Mbit, you just divide 80/200= at best 400Kbit.
your server should stall around 120 users.
seems Red5 is very heavy either on memory use and CPU. the more connections , the less stable it gets.

Josh Chesarek November 5th, 2008 05:09 PM

Well that is what we are looking to find out. We will be watching the server to see where it faults. The option to stream this game this way came up suddenly so not sure how many people we will get to watch. I have a feeling we will not even break 100 concurent viewers.

Paul R Johnson November 5th, 2008 06:48 PM

It's now 12.45am here in the UK - image quality, even on full screen is pretty good, and your countdown clock is being refreshed every 5 seconds. When it went back to the players, it's pretty jerky. It also often stops dead for quite a while. No audio. I mistakenly hit refresh and lost the link. I'm guessing that I really need to wait until 1pm here, as we're on British Winter time now - so I'll give it another ten minutes in case it gets up and running again.
paul

edit

12:50 it's back and is much smoother and audio is there too - complete with somebody saying "it's working". Oddly, here in england we generally play with one ball. Is having one each much of an advantage?

Pictures once the game started were quite jerky and difficult to watch. I'd estimate about 2fps. Stopped at 5 past the hour -when I gave up and went to bed. Hope this helped.
Paul

Josh Chesarek November 5th, 2008 07:14 PM

We ran into a bit of trouble at the site. We have been filming Soccer and have a dedicated port setup over at the stadium. The port is setup to give us lots of bandwidth and priority. We moved over to the gym tonight and we do not have the same port setup so we have been working with speeds that range from 4Mbit up to 3k up. Very frustrating but things seem to be smoothed out. Quality is not nearly as high as we want but we will keep playing with it. Thank you!