Selling soundtrack on the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Selling soundtrack on the web

I planning to stream a film on the web and I'm wondering how easy it would be to sell a compilation of the music from the film as a download from the same site.
Any thoughts, anyone, on a good way to go about doing this?
I'd need to agree with the artists of course but the compositions are traditional and the performances are original so I don't see rights issues as being a problem.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #2
Tourist

Hi Richard,

Unless you're planning to collect money and provide the digital file for each transaction, you'll need a third party to help with the logistical aspects of the deal. There are many companies online that offer this type of commerce service.

Personally, I use e-junkie.com. I have many mp3 downloads of my own original MUSiC available for purchase on my site, which my clients are sent a link to and access code after payment through PayPal has been received. I simply receive notice of payment from PayPal, confirm and the buyer is automatically sent the link to the download (s). They're
given access to the file one time, which thwarts sharing. Parameters can be set as to how soon they need to actually access the file. If they experience a problem I can always provide another link for use.

If you visit my website, Ralph Diekemper / composer and performer , simply visit my download store and you can see how I've set it up. You don't have to buy anything ! But feel free to kind of walk through the transaction if you want and you can get a feel for the application.
( you won't actually purchase anything until you confirm with your PayPal ).
Unless of course you want to !

I started doing this as an alternative / addition to iTunes & other Digital Stores and
it has served me well. It's suppose to support unlimited downloads, and though I haven't
had to put it to the test, it's always good know. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best from Ralph Diekemper
Ralph Diekemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ralph

Many thanks for your post. It was practical advice that I am after so this is very useful.

Ejunkie sounds as though it will fit the bill. I notice too that they don't charge for charitable use which is even better that's where the money will be going - to a charity.

I've asked the charity if thy have a Paypal account. I don't think they do so they will have to set one up.

I need to get consent from the musicians to do this and I am busy finishing the film until Christmas. So this will most probably be done in the first week in 2009.

From your experience do you think that a week is enough time to set it up ie set up the Paypal account, set up the Ejunkie account, upload the music and give it a dry run?
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Tourist

A week should be more than enough time. Actually, if you have everything
available and access to account information ( needed for PayPal ), you
should be able to accomplish your task in a few hours. Depends on how much
MUSiC you're uploading and the size of the files. Your most time consuming
chore will probably be contacting and getting consent from the musicians involved.

Curious... Where will you be selling the MUSiC ? Your site ?

Word of mouth does wonders and beats spending $$$ on advertising.
Make sure you notify everyone on your email lists and any network groups
you're involved with.

Feel free to spread the word of my MUSiC and website too... Every little bit helps !
Ralph Diekemper / composer and performer

If you have any issues or questions when setting up your accounts, feel free to ask.

Cheers !
Ralph Diekemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Diekemper View Post
Curious... Where will you be selling the MUSiC ? Your site ?
Thanks for that feedback Ralph. Very reassuring.

I've tied the film in with the next issue of a magazine ie they are promoting the film in the magazine, on their website and in the editor's blog. They have a readership of 50,000.

I have set up a website for the film.

I have absolutely no idea how many of the readers will watch the film and how many may want to buy the music as a download. It's an experiment :-)

I have good relations with all the musicians and the money is going to charity, so I am optimistic that they will agree. It's potentially a good promotion for them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video