DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   I reached the top! Video quality on YouTube (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/139496-i-reached-top-video-quality-youtube.html)

Ervin Farkas December 12th, 2008 11:45 AM

I reached the top! Video quality on YouTube

... or so I think... Feel free to watch full screen:

YouTube - hdtest01

Was anyone out there able to achieve better quality?

Thanks,

Shaun Roemich December 12th, 2008 12:01 PM

WOW!

I was unimpressed until I realized I hadn't clicked on "View In HD" then EVERYTHING changed. Please share your "secret"!

Wes Coughlin December 12th, 2008 12:15 PM

Nice job. What format did you shoot in and and what where your export settings?

Niall Megahey December 12th, 2008 12:47 PM

thats so good, think youve nailed it. What was it shot with? this looks better then anything ive seen on vimeo. great depth.

Noel Lising December 12th, 2008 01:05 PM

I am at a lost here. Shaun say's he is unimpresses til he hit view in HD. Is there an english version button that I am not aware of? This looks like russian to me.

Giroud Francois December 12th, 2008 01:06 PM

i think you got one of these lucky case where content almost perfectly match the encoding.
in your case, fixed, dark background with no fine details, large surface with uniform colors, few change from picture to picture, so prediction is easy etc....
you can see that the encoder is still on the edge when the baby turns the head, and the details on the hairs goes fuzzy.

Shaun Roemich December 12th, 2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 977056)
I am at a lost here. Shaun say's he is unimpresses til he hit view in HD. Is there an english version button that I am not aware of? This looks like russian to me.

Blue text IMMEDIATELY under the right side of the video window, in case somehow YouTube thinks you're NOT viewing in English (which I ASSUME would be strange).

Noel Lising December 12th, 2008 01:14 PM

Thanks Shaun, indeed it was Russian, for some reason Youtube opens in Russian when I open it. I agree great quality, thanks for the tip.

Chris Barcellos December 12th, 2008 01:51 PM

I think using 1280 x 720p settings will get you there.

This film for the DV Challenge was sent in a letterboxed HD format before 16:9 announcement was made. They converted it after the change over, to my surprise.
But even it shows that things will look good in the future:

YouTube - Light Rider

Ervin Farkas December 12th, 2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroud Francois (Post 977057)
in your case, fixed, dark background with no fine details, large surface with uniform colors, few change from picture to picture, so prediction is easy etc...

Here's take two.

Camera zooming out, background is changing, lots of changes from frame to frame (TV in background is SD).

YouTube - hdtest03

Shaun Roemich December 12th, 2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 977062)
Thanks Shaun, indeed it was Russian, for some reason Youtube opens in Russian when I open it. I agree great quality, thanks for the tip.

If YouTube opens in Russian, shouldn't you have responded to me by writing "Spaciba"?

Ervin Farkas December 12th, 2008 02:15 PM

Double post deleted (either the server or my internet is misbehaving).

Karel Bata December 13th, 2008 05:01 AM

Looks good, but playback here is very jerky! Nice furniture though. Is it Christmas already? Damn!

So I wonder - you guys will probably have good computers, but just what proportion of the public out there can actually watch HD videos..?

One experiment I did that was very interesting was when I'd downloaded a regular video off YouTube I'd worked on long ago and then tidied it up and put it on Vimeo. There was a huge increase in quality! Here's the original YouTube - James - Tomorrow and here's is the same video on Vimeo James - Tomorrow on Vimeo NOTE: make sure to switch HD to off (click the 'HD is on' icon). Yup, the same Flash file, and even downgraded a bit by Vimeo. Notice how much better the sound is too? Why can't YouTube play it back with the same quality?

The upshot of this is that YouTube encoding, though far from perfect, turns out to be not nearly as bad as their playback quality would suggest. it also begs the question (to me) whether a clever person could design a window that played YouTube live but at a better quality than YouTube themselves offer. And would YouTube object...

Anyone here care to do the equivalent experiment with some YouTube HD videos? See what turns up?

Richard Gooderick December 13th, 2008 05:24 AM

The James video on Vimeo isn't playing. I get a 2 second animated still for your zombie trailer.

Karel Bata December 13th, 2008 05:27 AM

There's always one...

Did you read this bit? "NOTE: make sure to switch HD to off (click the 'HD is on' icon)"

Tut tut...

http://vimeo.com/2361290