DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   YouTube HD - Out of Sync (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/140299-youtube-hd-out-sync.html)

Chris Hocking December 25th, 2008 06:57 PM

YouTube HD - Out of Sync

Hi Everyone,

I just started to do some tests with YouTube HD but unfortunately I've already started running into problems!

I've uploaded the following clip:

Video Format: H.236, 960 x 540, Millions
Audio Format: 16-bit Interger (Little Endian), Stereo, 48 kHz
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 25fps
Date Rate: 20.76 mbits/sec
Date Size: 453.5 MB
Duration: 00:03:02:84

When this clip is played in Quicktime on both a Mac and PC, it plays in sync.

When I upload the clip to YouTube the "Normal Quality" video plays fine. Everything is in sync. The footage looks HORRIBLE - the compression is really bad. The duration reads 03:03.

However, when you click "Watch in HD", the video suddenly looks absolutely STUNNING, but there is a major hitch. The duration now reads 02:45, and the audio drifts out of sync (for obvious reasons).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Obviously something wrong is happening at Google's end - but is there any known work around or a hint of a fix?

I've had a look at some other HD clips uploaded by others, and some have this problem, others don't. It seems even some of the big Hollywood studios haven't even noticed this little bug as of yet.

Any information you can provide me would be very much appreciated!

Happy holidays!

Chris!

Ervin Farkas December 29th, 2008 11:16 PM

Um... H.236???

That's probably what confuses Youtube... and me. And the frame size too... is it 1920x1080 or 960x540? Per Youtube, only video with frame size over 1280x720 is interpreted as high def.

Have you checked this out? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/dvd-web-v...y-youtube.html

Chris Hocking December 29th, 2008 11:31 PM

Opps! I have no idea why I wrote that! I must have copied and pasted the wrong thing...

It should say:

Video Format: H.264, 1920 x 1080, Millions

Karel Bata January 2nd, 2009 04:18 AM

Have you considered HQ (640x360)? Way better than SD, and a much quicker download than HD.

Nice example, and how to embed here: Testing YouTube HQ embed | holgr.com You just add '&ap=%2526fmt%3D22' to the coding.

Paul Chiu January 3rd, 2009 02:28 PM

Could be the data rate

chris,

did you use 20.76mbs when exporting? or was that a typo?
if not, that footage may be a bit too dense for youtube to handle.

i fussed with youtube-hd for a month and had to deleted quite a few uploads before becoming happy with these settings:

under iMovie and Final Cut Pro, it's about the same.

1. i now filmed mostly in 1080p at 30, that's 35VBR with a Sony PMW-EX1
2. i edit in iMovie or Final Cut in 1080 mode
3. final edit is exported to "Movie to MPEG-4"
4. Options are

VIDEO
a) file format MP4
b) video format H.264
c) data rate 7500 kbs*
d) optimized for download
e) images size 1920x1080 HD
f) preserve aspect ratio using letterbox
g) frame rate 30
h) key frame auto

AUDIO
a) audio format AAC-LC
b) data rate 192 kbs
c) channels stereo
d) output sample rate 44.1khz or 48 (if you have another 1-2 hours to render)
e) encoding quality best (or good, save an hour)

sample nearly 10 minutes:

YouTube - Walt Disney EPCOT Fireworks - IllumiNations Reflections of Earth 2008 in HD 1080p with Sony PMW-EX1

a minute plus:

YouTube - William at Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain in HD 1080p with Sony PMW-EX1

indoor stuff:

YouTube - 1 Day to Recital William Chiu plays Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hocking (Post 983889)
Hi Everyone,

I just started to do some tests with YouTube HD but unfortunately I've already started running into problems!

I've uploaded the following clip:

Video Format: H.236, 960 x 540, Millions
Audio Format: 16-bit Interger (Little Endian), Stereo, 48 kHz
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 25fps
Date Rate: 20.76 mbits/sec
Date Size: 453.5 MB
Duration: 00:03:02:84

When this clip is played in Quicktime on both a Mac and PC, it plays in sync.

When I upload the clip to YouTube the "Normal Quality" video plays fine. Everything is in sync. The footage looks HORRIBLE - the compression is really bad. The duration reads 03:03.

However, when you click "Watch in HD", the video suddenly looks absolutely STUNNING, but there is a major hitch. The duration now reads 02:45, and the audio drifts out of sync (for obvious reasons).

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Obviously something wrong is happening at Google's end - but is there any known work around or a hint of a fix?

I've had a look at some other HD clips uploaded by others, and some have this problem, others don't. It seems even some of the big Hollywood studios haven't even noticed this little bug as of yet.

Any information you can provide me would be very much appreciated!

Happy holidays!

Chris!

Chris Hocking February 9th, 2009 04:42 AM

Apologies for the delayed reply Paul and Karel! I got side tracked with other things...

YouTube seems to have fixed their HD bugs now. Durations now remain when you view in both HD and Normal mode. It must have just been a temporary problem with 25fps footage...