DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   vx2000 and streaming video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/1417-vx2000-streaming-video.html)

Sam Diego March 26th, 2002 12:54 PM

vx2000 and streaming video

Hi,
I just found this wonderful community and I must say it is full of information.

I did a search for vx2000 and streaming video and found no post. I would like to use a digital camcorder for streaming video for the web as well as family outings. Will the sony vx2000 provide quality streaming video? If not why and which camcorder would you suggest?

Thank you,

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2002 02:43 PM

Howdy from Texas,

You can create streaming media from any video shot with a DV camcorder, but it's an extra step that you do in editing. The only DV camcorder I'm aware of that will produce streaming media "right out of the box" is the new JVC GY-DV300U. Be advised however that the encoder is actually an optional accessory that you have to purchase separately for about $1000.

See http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?tree=&searchModel=&model_id=MDL101332 for details -- hope this helps,

Sam Diego March 26th, 2002 03:22 PM

Thank for your quick responds! I've read somewhere that the vx2000 wasn't very good for streaming. If I remember correctly it had something to do with capturing only 15frames/sec compared to the GL-1 at 30frames/sec.

Thanks again,

Chris Hurd March 26th, 2002 05:15 PM

What you're referring to is the VX2000's progressive scan mode which delivers only 15fps. On the GL1, Frame Movie mode (not true progressive scan but delivers the same results as progressive scan) is 30fps.

For converting DV to streaming video for web delivery, progressive scan/Frame Movie mode is always preferable. In your case, the GL1 would be a better solution but you should aalways try before you buy.

Sam Diego March 26th, 2002 05:49 PM

"For converting DV to streaming video for web delivery, progressive scan/Frame Movie mode is always preferable."

Would a good software such as Premiere or some other video editing program be effective in streaming the VX2000 video to equal the GL-1 Frame Movie?

If not then I might wait until Canon releases the rumored 'new' model of GL-1.

Thank you for answering these novice questions.

Shamus Jamal April 3rd, 2002 05:52 PM

Any camera's footage can be used for streaming purposes. If anyone says the Canon GL1 is "better" for streaming, it is only because the GL1 shoots 30 frames per second in progressive mode, and the VX2000 only shoots 15. Computer screens are progressive scan, and TVs use interlaced video. Thus, if DV video is going to be viewed on a computer screen, it needs to be non-interlaced. So, because the GL1 shoots more non-interlaced frames per second, some may consider it better. If you need more info about progressive vs interlaced, there is plenty on the net. It would take too long to explain here.

I would suggest you buy the VX2000, even if you will be doing a lot of streaming video. The VX2000 is a better camera for many reasons. And here's how you get around the 15 fps "problem." All you need to do is shoot in regular mode, then use a program like Premiere of Final Cut to DEINTERLACE the footage. This is as simple as checking a "de-interlace" box when exporting your finished movies. This will convert your interlaced footage into video that is perfectly acceptable for streaming. You must then obviously compress the video, which is another mission in itself.

So bottom line, the VX2000 is a better camera, and will suit you great for many things including streaming video, but if you don't want to spend extra time in Premiere de-interlacing all your video, maybe you should buy a camera that does 30 frames per second in progressive mode.

Don't wait for a new model of GL1, buy the VX2000 now!

Good luck=)

Karl Weimer June 13th, 2002 07:49 PM

vx2000 and streaming video

I'm wondering if Mr. Diego was, in referring to family outings and stuff, thinking about a camcorder with webcam capability that would allow him to webcast live. (ie. Sony's USB Streaming, or Pana's Teleconferencing Web capability). This came to mind when Chris mentioned having to edit the video prior to "streaming" which might be different than what Mr. D was looking for. Who knows?

tmacame7 June 22nd, 2002 10:01 PM

web streaming video

Teveo (www.teveo.com) has free software that allows you to stream to the internet from your firewire input.

However, I'm attempting to use my vx2000 as a vido conference device, however I can't get a picture when I use microsoft netmeeting or other similar program -- any ideas?

UPDATE: TrackerPod software seems to work (www.trackerpod.com) but the quality isn't great. I've heard that Softcam (www.softcam.com) works too but I can't seem to get it to accept the right source.