Help with flash sizing for web page at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Help with flash sizing for web page

I converted an avi over to FLV and sized it to 720 x 480, no reason, just a test. When I insert it into a web page it shows up very small, maybe 90 x 90 pixels. This is without publishing the page. Is this small size just a place holder or am I making a mistake somewhere along the line?
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

When you preview the page is everything OK? Does the code for the video look something like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0','width','720','height','480','src','NAME','quality','high','pluginspag e','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash','movie','NAME' ); //end AC code
</script>

<noscript><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" width="720" height="480">
<param name="movie" value="NAME.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="NAME.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="720" height="480"></embed>
</object>
</noscript>
Ken Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Post your coding here Harry.

Ken: "macromedia.com"? How long you been at this?

Hold on, let me try something quick....
Karel Bata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There you go - this was on my desktop and just needed a tweak.

Download the attachment below, open and edit the obvious bits, change the name to 'MYBRILLIANTFILM.htm', put it in the same folder as your flv, double click it, see what happens, then tell us.

(I borrowed your Macromedia.com coding Ken - too lazy to find out what the current adobe one is)
Attached Files
File Type: txt CHANGE TO HTM.txt (1.1 KB, 349 views)
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Karel, unfortunately I have been building websites since 1995. That is the code that Dreamweaver CS3 inserts when a flash .swf is inserted. I don't insert the .flv directly from Dreamweaver andt prefer to create a SWF from Flash so that I can customize the presentation of the video more.
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

In DW did you set the size of the player manually or used the "autodetect" option?
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I use DW CS3 too. Never noticed that.

Cheers. Happy coding! :)
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. Remember I am using Frontpage, which no one else in the freeworld will touch.

This is what the codes read when I insert my video onto the webpage using the Frontpage directions.

BTW, I found out how to get my window to the desired size, now if I could only get it to play. . .

<div style="position: absolute; width: 526px; height: 423px; z-index: 4; left: 830px; top: 356px" id="layer4">
<p align="center">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" id="obj1" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" border="0" width="400" height="400">
<param name="movie" value="Wagner 1 - Clip 001.flv">
<param name="quality" value="High">
<param name="loop" value="false">
<embed src="Wagner%201%20-%20Clip%20001.flv" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="obj1" width="400" height="400" quality="High" loop="false"></object>
</div>
<p align="center">&nbsp;</td>
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm not a skilled coder - I just copy n paste stuff until something works! - so a lot of that is gobbledegook to me, like what on earth is that clsid stuff about?

But I don't see your frame size of 720 x 480 anywhere, and the last line appears to be centering an empty space (&nbsp) as well as closing a table (</td>) that was never opened!

I'm sure the others will sort it out for you, but for now the following will definitely work:

<div align="center">
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<embed src="YOURFILM.flv" width=720 height=480 autoplay=true controller=true>
</div>

I always try to code as simply as I can, often using only tables, that way if anything goes wrong I have a chance of understanding and fixing it!
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Harry, is there a script tag like in the code of my response?

Unfortunately for you, FrontPage is a disaster for web coding. I suspect that you may have more problems down the road, and especially when your pages are views in browsers other than IE.

You may want to try the later version of their web creation software, I think it was called Microsoft Expression or something like that. The current champ is still Dreamweaver but it has its quirks and costs quite a bit.

Good luck!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:24 AM   #11
Regular Crew

You don't really need the latest DW. For simple coding and embedding an old one does the trick just as well and will be a lot cheaper.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Campbell View Post
Hi Harry, is there a script tag like in the code of my response?

Unfortunately for you, FrontPage is a disaster for web coding. I suspect that you may have more problems down the road, and especially when your pages are views in browsers other than IE.

You may want to try the later version of their web creation software, I think it was called Microsoft Expression or something like that. The current champ is still Dreamweaver but it has its quirks and costs quite a bit.

Good luck!
Frontpage worked for me for a little while, but has become the proverbial albatross. I'll persue better options.

Thanks to all

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video