delivering video content at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

delivering video content

I am new at this so please excuse my lack of knowledge (we all have to start somewhere). The best size/quality ration I have found has been using Adobe media encoder cs4 Flash and QT pro output to web. By far the best combination has been QT which produces a folder and a HTML document for web use. Does the user have to have QT installed (there is also a .m4v file.) in their browser? The problem of course is penetration of flash over QT.
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davis View Post
Does the user have to have QT installed (there is also a .m4v file.) in their browser?
If you're file is a .mov then you have to have QT or a surrogate player installed on the viewer's system. The browser should pick up that installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davis View Post
The problem of course is penetration of flash over QT.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. From what I've seen lately, Flash is more ubiquitous than QT on PCs. On the Mac, of course, QT is virtually everywhere.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
If you're file is a .mov then you have to have QT or a surrogate player installed on the viewer's system. The browser should pick up that installation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. From what I've seen lately, Flash is more ubiquitous than QT on PCs. On the Mac, of course, QT is virtually everywhere.
HI GUYS... FLASH IS EVERYWHERE AS WELL. THE FILE SIZE IS SMALLER AND THE QUALITY EXCELLENT. Oooop's all caps.... sorry : / I just placed an hour long QT file (mp4). It was about 700megs. The flash file is now 73megs. Both looked great, but the Flash video is actually better.

I would encode with Sorenson Squeeze and place the files online in this manner. Well, actually I do... Take a look at what you could provide online by comparing your idea to what we've done. If you have any questions please ask and I'll help guide you through the process. Once you've done it a couple of times it's mindless. Believe me, I had no idea what to do at first. I received good help and am happy to pay back this way.

Best Wishes
Jerry Wills
Xpeditions TV
Xpeditions TV
Jerry Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually in my opinion the .mp4 file format with the h.264 codec provides the best quality with the smallest file size, and as a bonus, this format can be played through a flash video player. The second best option is to encode an flv video using the VP6 codec, which also looks really great.
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Have you tried the f4v format with the H.264 codec now available in Flash 9? The quality is very good. It's available in the Adobe CS4 Encoder.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video