Internet Explorer changing for embedded movies! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

IE changing!

Microsoft announced that changes are coming soon with IE that will effect how embed and object files are interpreted and some javascript and applets as well. Basically, if you have Flash files or any type of media files, there's a good chance you'll have to make changes to your code.

Sounds like a good time for me to migrate over to Safari.
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #2
Trustee

All the changes are due to a law suit filed against M$ in which they were found in violation of patents relating to embeded media technologies.

It probably won't affect the end user but it could, as John mentioned, be a pain in the arse for developers.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 04:45 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

That information is spot-on. This affects ActiveX controls, Java
programs, embedded movies like QuickTime movies (that are
embedded with the OBJECT or EMBED tags!).

More information on the why's and what to change (technically)
to make it work again can be found at this excellent page

You can even download a modified version of IE6 there (if you
are running Windows XP SP1) to test out your new pages. This
IE version WILL NOT overwrite your current version and you can
use both side by side.

With that I'm moving this thread to the Web Delivery forum.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:01 AM   #4
Warden

Microsoft said some time ago there will not be a new version for Mac. Safari is kind of it for Mac. Development of other browser is pretty much grinding to a halt.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #5
Wrangler

Great... Hopefully I won't have to rewrite all my PHP code that I just spent weeks perfecting last year. Unfortunately I can't download the beta release for testing as I don't run XP on any of my machines.

Adrian, depending on exactly what the changes entail, I think it will affect lots of end users--when so many pages with video media load with a nag dialog after upgrading.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Wrangler

I noticed something kinda funny using IE under MacOS X the other day. I clicked on a link which led to a .asp file (which I think is Microsoft-speak for Active Server Pages or something). Anyway, Explorer chose to download the file to my desktop, and then MacOS X opened Apple System Profiler! I guess under MacOS X .asp is the extension for an Apple System Profiler file. Pretty amusing, I was expecting to see some sort of a movie ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Not to be rude, but does this thread need to be stickied anymore? The changes to IE were made a long time ago.
Old April 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Trustee

actually, nothing was changed in internet explorer wrt this issue, until just a few weeks ago... and it wasn't caused by internet explorer, because it affects all browsers the same way... blame it on a company called eolas... google up the phrase "patent troll"...

what it means is that everyone who designs web sites may have to alter their code, per this writeup: http://www.digitalproducer.com/artic...e.jsp?id=38506
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video