DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   streaming via firewire? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/2528-streaming-via-firewire.html)

msaerica June 26th, 2002 01:13 PM

streaming via firewire?

I want to stream my Sony TRV9 via Firewire on my PC. Is this possible? I have two firewire options, one being a PCI card and the other being a port on the front of my Creative Audigy Platinum module.

So far, any software I use only see's my Quickcam. The PCI port will show the camera in "My Computer" but the Audigy port does not show it at all.

Help!

Bill Ravens June 26th, 2002 01:46 PM

ieee1394 ports on audigy cards are problemmatic. you didn't mention what OS you're on. look in the device manager to see if the audigy firewire port is even being recognized.

msaerica June 26th, 2002 01:56 PM

audigy

I am using WinMe.

I am trying to use the audigy port because the wire is so short. It did recognize when I restarted with the camera plugged in and on, it used Texas Instuments 1394 drivers.

If the PCI ports will work better, then I will use that. I can see the camera using those ports, but cannot get it to recognize with any of my streaming software.

Bill Ravens June 26th, 2002 01:58 PM

ahhhh....winMe is problemmatic, itself. the best solution may be to upgrade your OS to w2000 or xp.

msaerica June 26th, 2002 02:01 PM

can do

I can do that, but do I really want to? There must be a way!

thank you for your replies...

K. Forman June 26th, 2002 02:23 PM

It depends on why you are doing this, whether or not you need to upgrade your system. If you just like to play with it, find the right drivers and program. If you like creating video for distribution or profit, get the better O.S. and hardware. If you want to do this for a living...

For now, I would look up all drivers and check your bios for an update.
Good luck,
Keith

msaerica June 26th, 2002 02:29 PM

I want to use it to stream live video from my music studio. I can see the camera, I can capture, I just can't get my streaming software to recognize the camera.

Bill Ravens June 26th, 2002 02:34 PM

sounds like a problem with the streaming software to me. has it ever recognized the camera before? the camera drivers need to be part of the software app.

msaerica June 26th, 2002 03:20 PM

software

I am not sure what I am using is right in the first place. I am open to suggestions. I tried Ulead and Webcam32.

Bill Ravens June 26th, 2002 03:26 PM

I don't know what your capture app is, but, some apps have a preview window that's adequate for streaming. ScenalyzerLive will do this, as well as apps like MS Netmeeting. Webcam probably won't work. Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6 oughta work with the preview window.

K. Forman June 26th, 2002 04:36 PM

While I was at SurfGuru, they used to stream a live show twice a week. I believe they used a Windows Media program that encoded live video.
Keith

Rob Lohman June 26th, 2002 11:30 PM

I think the problem is that most of the streaming server
applications out there might nog accept firewire as an input.
Adobe Premiere, as an NLE program, only started to support
DV/firewire natively since the latest version 6 (doh). So I
wouldn't be suprised at all if these applications only support
the VFW (Video For Windows) interface at the moment. The
one exception might indeed be Microsoft's encoder cause
they are pushing hard that everyone goes with Directshow
(and thus firewire). Some testing is in order I guess.

But in theory, it should be possible if you have software
that supports this!

K. Forman June 27th, 2002 12:17 AM

They were using a Sony Mini DV with Firewire, so It should work with most others.
Keith