DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Suggestions please? ReLearning for Web.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/285978-suggestions-please-relearning-web.html)

Peter Manojlovic August 16th, 2009 01:19 PM

Suggestions please? ReLearning for Web..

Hi folks....

Until now, all my workflow has been primarily for DVD (optical output)..It took many long hours, and long tutorials to learn my current workflow..

But i can't ignore the WEB anymore.
I've run into two situations in where output for Web has cost me two potential jobs...

I am WEB CLUELESS. To reLearn feels like putting my toes in the cold water. Unfortunately, i don't have hours on boards and forums to learn web based video output and web page creation.
Does anybody have any resources so that i can start fast tracking, or should i let somebody younger take over, and show me the ropes??

I'm comforatable with much of the encoding processes involved, but am needing to relearn the new containers, codecs, and playback software that is becoming more of a demand.
I'm currently working with (what seems to be an outdated) Adobe CS 2.0 production suite..
Can i grow with this, or should i look into getting the CS 4.0 production bundle, and restarting from fresh?

Thanx...

David Rice August 16th, 2009 02:20 PM

Start with Youtube for video, and create a free Google web site. Both have excellent tutorials. Once you have learned the basics, take that knowledge and move on to better things.

Peter Manojlovic August 16th, 2009 02:25 PM

Aw...Sitka Alaska..I never knew it was a town.

I was looking for some hunting clothing, and Sitka was the top of the list for comfort and function. I guess they marketed your town name for the clothing brand?

Yeah, i've been perusing the websites, and there's some great info (like you mentioned), but i was hoping for a centralized area to learn the basics. From there on, i could easily navigate from site to site for more pertinent info..

I've always been a big fan of Total Training products, so maybe i'll meander on over there when i've got some time..
Thanks for the tip.

Tripp Woelfel August 17th, 2009 06:30 AM

That's the problem with trying to learn from the free stuff on the Web, it's a bit of a piecework factory.

You might look into www.lynda.com. I haven't personally viewed any Web video tutorials there, but the content on their site that I have seen is well done. Full disclosure: I knew Lynda years ago before she started this endeavor but I have no association with it.

I think you'll find that all the latest tools for Web video have left CS2 behind. If you search this place for Web video info, you'll find that Flash may be the most prevalent delivery medium. I don't know what CS2 has for Flash but it might be too out of date now.

Ervin Farkas August 18th, 2009 11:02 AM

I don't know how much CS4 has improved over CS3 as far as flash delivery, but I gave CS3 a try and went happily back to CS2 - does everythig I need. Flash output was the main reason I wanted CS3 but it proved to be a big dissapointment.

I use other, free tools for web delivery, with incredible results - namely MPEG Streamclip (mpeg4/h.264 played back by the flash player).

If you let Youtube or Vimeo handle your video, you are basically giving up not only author rights, but also give up control over the quality, this is why I prefer to do my own stuff, and host it on my own site. Both Streamclip and the JW flash web player are very simple to use.